Skip to main content

Training Instead of Micromanaging

 Talking to the therapist two days ago and he asked how the youngest three kids get along. I said that they get along great. Three seems like a good number. If one of them wants a break and time alone there are still two to play together. Or, three is a fun little group if they want to wreak havoc and do something wildly creative. Of course there are small squabbles but nothing lasts more than a few minutes. There are truly no issues I'm worried about in their relationship dynamic. 

The therapist was dumbfounded. Kept saying how rare this is. I hadn't really thought about it before. 

Now I've been pondering why we have so little squabbling (less fighting than our two boys did at certain stages of their lives) among them. First, I truly think they're all highly social and more interested in getting along than fighting. It works because they want it to work. We won the personality lottery there. 

Second, I do remember spending a lot of time when they were 2, 3, and 3 in training them how to manage conflict. Because the girls' first year here was hard. I remember distinctly training them in specific things to do and say when they were fighting over a toy. People talk about the terrible twos and three-nager years but that's because this is when parenting starts and most people have no idea how to explicitly instruct a child in correct behavior. They either over- or under-instruct; requiring too much or too little. The children are confused and the parents feel like failures. 

The other thing I did was choose to ignore some squabbling so they were forced to work it out for themselves. Or, as a consequence for not working it out on their own, they'd be separated. That taught them that I wasn't going to be a constant arbiter of all disputes. 

I think that's where we went wrong with our first two boys. Because they were 4 yrs apart I felt I had to be a buffer and translator between them. But since I was always there to manage the disputes...then I always had to be there to manage the disputes. They're okay now as teenagers but the middle years were pretty rough. 

Instruction in what to do and then intentionally leaving them to practice what I'd preached has paid off for the younger ones. I'm experiencing a summer with a 4, 5, and 5 yr old who certainly have their issues but getting along with each other isn't one of them. 

Not saying they'll always get along but right now it's pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi

Getting There

Today was better. Kids felt calmer. I think being at the cottage with Grandma for 3 days really disturbed Jane's equilibrium...but I also think that she has resettled quicker than she once would've been able to. One small, but HUGE thing happened this morning. Jane rode all the way to church and back, 20 min drive each way, without any singing. I know I sound like a curmudgeon but I have to clarify that it isn't really singing. It's toneless, mindless, repetitious droning of the same few syllables for miles and miles and miles. Even the therapist said it'd drive her batty when I demonstrated it for her once. I'm guessing that Jane rode in cars where the radio was blasting all the time. I'm guessing that no one ever spoke with her as she rode. I'm guessing that, in her need to orally process every single thing, and witnessing that she talks to herself endlessly while playing, the lull of the moving car reduced her to one sing-song phrase as she tried