Skip to main content

The Therapist Says... (A Series, Part Two: Two Core Beliefs)

 Gonna make this short as it's been a long, emotionally exhausting couple of days. In summary: while I was flying high thinking life was great, Jane was using every moment I was out of the house to do a whole series of small, destructive things. 

It all came out yesterday. I spanked her. Now we're in the long rebuilding phase that feels more demoralizing every single time we have to go back to square one in rebuilding trust with her. 

Important take aways from the therapist: There are two core truths or beliefs we adults dealing with traumatized children have to keep in mind always.

1) She believes she is a bad person. She feels shame for being rejected by her parents. Something must be wrong with her at her core for her own mother to reject her.

2) Like everyone else, she wants to do good and be in a positive relationship with others. 

That's the constant push-pull. That's the whiplash for why she does shitty things even in the midst of having a good week. 

Response from the therapist after I told the whole tale: 

a) It's okay, in this context, to spank. He also spanks his children. He adamantly told me not to feel guilty as he agrees it was a warranted response given her actions (with the caveat that spanking should always be rare, done calmly, etc.)

b) While spanking was a logical consequence as she broke the exact rules we've told her would warrant a spanking (e.g. intentionally harming things/people and lying about it), all the same, spankings, or any other type of punishment won't cure the problem. 

c) Instead, we have to get to the root cause: she feels she is a bad person and when feelings connected to her abandonment/neglect trauma get triggered she will revert to naughty behavior because she's stuck in that place of feeling like a bad person. (Kind of like, if you're already in a dark place and binge eating then, what the heck, why not keep going and eat the whole cake.)

d) So, it's my job to somehow help her identify her feelings of abandonment and choose appropriate coping mechanisms in hopes that, over the years, as she matures and practices this she will be able to identify her triggers and learn to control the impulse to be bad. 

e) Also, no, we can't ever trust her. She has to always be monitored. Giving her too much freedom, that even her 4 yr old sister can handle, is much too thrilling and tempting for the almost 6-yr-old to handle. The very experience of knowing she isn't being watched pushes her over the edge. 

So, while her brother, the same age, was thrilled at the bit of freedom and responsibility I gave them all last week...it made her deeply angry. She felt my absence like abandonment, not freedom. Her insatiable need for attention controls everything. She was angry, and lashed out because I told her I wouldn't be doling out snacks anymore but instead all the kids had free access to the snack drawer all day long. 

(It makes me want to cry. The stupidity. I say, "Wow, you're so mature, here's some snacks and I trust you not to eat too many!" Everyone else thrives but she sees neglect and has to go break the TV. Her incessant irrationality and manipulation are exhausting.) 

Where do we go from here? New family plan that she has to always be in eyesight of someone. We will not entertain her. She can sit and pick her nose for hours, I don't care, this isn't fun for us and it sure as hell isn't going to be rewarding for her. 

Also, I'm getting her a journal for drawing. Going to teach her to start drawing her feelings, or stories, or memories as a way of communicating her emotions in a healthy way. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi

Getting There

Today was better. Kids felt calmer. I think being at the cottage with Grandma for 3 days really disturbed Jane's equilibrium...but I also think that she has resettled quicker than she once would've been able to. One small, but HUGE thing happened this morning. Jane rode all the way to church and back, 20 min drive each way, without any singing. I know I sound like a curmudgeon but I have to clarify that it isn't really singing. It's toneless, mindless, repetitious droning of the same few syllables for miles and miles and miles. Even the therapist said it'd drive her batty when I demonstrated it for her once. I'm guessing that Jane rode in cars where the radio was blasting all the time. I'm guessing that no one ever spoke with her as she rode. I'm guessing that, in her need to orally process every single thing, and witnessing that she talks to herself endlessly while playing, the lull of the moving car reduced her to one sing-song phrase as she tried