Skip to main content

A Girl, Awakening

 Something is happening with Jane. She is, like the Velveteen Rabbit, becoming...real. Real emotions, genuine reactions revealed instead of hidden, seeking physical comfort, stating her need with the expectation of having it met. 

These things are happening in the tiniest of ways. Just little moments once a day. One quick choice to take a different path she's never taken before. A moment as quick as the blink of an eye but still, I see the change. 

For example, during the last two weeks, when I've picked her up from school there have been 2 or 3 days where she has looked distressed at pickup. Worry or fear, it was written there on her face, though I didn't know what or why. (Previously, her usual demeanor, would've been an artificial display of happiness--too much, too fake, too plastic, like a Disney character every damn day.)

On these days when distress is written on her face, I have waited till we are alone and then asked her what was wrong. She always lies first. I ask her again. Sometimes she lies again (depending on how many excuses she can think of in that moment). But today she told the truth about a tiny thing that only revealed a sadness about something missed. She cried real tears over her disappointment. I comforted her and thanked her for telling the truth. We stood on the porch and she leaned into me and I rubbed small circles on her back and kissed the top of her head.

In the past if she has gotten all the way to crying then it's because she was going to get in trouble. She rarely cries over these small disappointments. (Previously, she would've been passive aggressive and pissy-mad about being disappointed and sought to punish me hours or days later. No tears, but a hardness to the set of her mouth that showed she blamed me for her loss.) 

I admit, I feel awkward. She doesn't really like to be touched. We have never gotten into the practice of touching. But there she is, crying, so I go through the motions. It feels both right and wrong at the same time. The right idea; but awkward execution. She is stiff in my arms. Leaning just her forehead in against my belly, never putting her arms around me. I try to touch her in ways that I can only hope are right because she has never yet told me what she wants. She has never yet signed and relaxed and leaned in. I try to touch firmly enough, but not too hard. Rubbing just between her shoulder blades in the least annoying, most neutral, place I can. Adding a kiss to the top of the head to make it a motherly hug. 

So, I guess it's springtime. All my children are changing. James and Kate are growing before my eyes. Their vocabulary is exploding and their independence and curiosity and sense of humor are nonstop entertaining. They are like daffodils, exploding out of the ground overnight and waving bright, shiny faces at the sun. They are taller, growing right out of their clothes, and so confident. Leaving toddlerhood and becoming big kids.

My 14 yr old is so stereotypically teenager I don't even want to comment. Lest I write words I will someday regret. Of course, at moments he can also be sweet and mature and helpful and amusing and insightful and all the good things. Leaving childhood and moving closer to the adult he will be someday. 

Then...Jane. Always out of step with the family. Not quite regressing but in a strange stage all the same. Perhaps like a plain white chicken egg before--cold and hard and featureless and indistinguishable, rolling away or rolling towards but always wobbling just out of grasp. Now, it's as if she's hatching. Just starting to peep and peck a hole in her own shell. She'll have to hatch on her own; she won't tolerate any help. She'll only remove her shell in her own time. But, maybe she's giving me glimpses of the adorable and fluffy chick she's on her way to becoming. Cute and cuddly and unique with a personality all her own. It just might be there after all. 

I have absolutely no idea why this change is happening. I don't know if this is two steps forward and one step back. I don't know if she'll stagnate and stay at this stage forever. But it feels good to see progress. 

Oh springtime, how we need you after the long winter of our discontent.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi