Skip to main content

I Dunno

 I think this is our fourth week of school for the littles. It could be the third or fifth, I've lost all perspective. There were four different school start dates in our family and I can't keep track of anything anymore. 

It's a good thing we're coming off a shut down, and many schools still aren't open in person, so I'm still super grateful my kids even get to go to school or else I'd be a little exasperated with the whole go-to-school thing. The germ factory already sent one cold through the family and I think the second wave may be starting. James has a meltdown every morning and now needs a bribe to go to school (I bought a pile of 99 cent boxes of crayons and we're in cahoots with his teacher to convince him it's vitally important he deliver a new box every day. He's the all important Speedy Delivery Man upon whom the society of Kindergarten depends. It's working...sorta. It gets him in the door but not without some tears.)

Jane is yo-yo-ing every day. At dinner last night Theo and I just stared across the table at each other, eyebrows arching in fear of what was coming next, as she swung wildly through about five emotions in less than 2 minutes. I know she is exhausting herself all day long trying to do school just perfectly in order to win love and affection from her teacher. Except that isn't going to work. This is the first time Jane has been in the regular care of another adult and I can see her totally at a loss about how to navigate this relationship. Her teacher is a 20+ year veteran who isn't going to get sucked into Jane's games for affection. 

Today, at pickup, she cried because she couldn't find her coat (she was already wearing it). She was angry because James got the day off school (doc and dentist appts for him and I didn't want to do the drive 4 times in one day so he got a free afternoon at home). Knowing he got something and she didn't absolutely infuriated her. So, on the way home she's leaning way out of her seat, pestering Kate, messing with the window, etc. I told her 3 times to sit correctly in her seatbelt. When we got home I asked her what she was doing and she lied. Then, there's the consequence for lying (she's in her room) that sent her into violent wailing and flailing. She is sooooo tired. Emotionally worn out. I told her she had to stay in her bed and sleep. She needs about 20 hours straight.  

And then I need the patience and time to spend endless hours reassuring her she doesn't have to be perfect, will always be in our family, will always be loved, can make mistakes, doesn't have to lie, etc etc etc. If only I had limitless emotional reserves myself. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s

After a long separation

 I spent 5 weeks away from home for grad school. I knew it would be tough on the girls. Tried to put as many supports in place as possible.  They fared better than I'd expected. No major issues while I was gone. We've been home for five days now and Day 4 stuff finally came out.  Jane had been baby talking for several days. Then, Kate started it, too. Talked with each girl separately last night. Jane was quite articulate and mature--explaining how peeing herself, anger at me (both sad-anger because I was gone and also anger at anticipating getting in trouble), and baby talking and then being naughty were all connected. She can't say why these peeing and baby talking are connected to strong emotions about me, but she does know that they are. She can't say which comes first or how one leads to another but, again, she connects them as one.  Doesn't take a Freudian to observe that very young girls, neglected by their birth mother, would revert to baby like behaviors whe