Skip to main content

Jealousy and Trauma

 The real bitch of raising kids with childhood trauma is that it's always there. 

We're in the midst of a bunch of transitions due to back to school and of course major life transitions are always hard but then there's this underlying everything. I was gone for three days to take Seth to college = abandonment trigger. Seth is mysteriously gone and he isn't coming back = trigger. Kids go to meet their new teacher in their new classroom = trigger. 

It's just so damn exhausting. 

Today I'm moving James into Seth's old room (because it gives some breathing room for Gus who has had to share a room with his baby brother for years and also because James is the easiest to move back in with Gus when Seth returns on break). I have not bought one new thing for James. His same old stuff is moving over or I'm getting a few items from the garage (e.g. an old carpet remnant). 

The girls come into the room because James is in there and I'm trying to make this happy and exciting for James since he's feeling some trepidation about being in a room all by himself since he's never experienced that before. I've moved a few of James' favorite toys in there and am showing him how fun it'll be to have his own play area. 

The girls' faces both go hard and angry. Furious jealousy boiling under the surface. Jane starts playing chaotically with the toys and has to be told to leave the room. Kate doesn't last much longer. 

Then I'm pissed. Why must they ruin everything? This isn't childhood variety jealousy; this is pent up pissyiness from all the transitions and all their fears being triggered. And now they take it out on James just when he's most vulnerable.

The girls have a lovely, adorable room with a host of their own private toys. Just last week Jane got a whole day out with me--special treats and some time browsing the racks for new clothes. Kate got a whole trip out of state with me earlier in the summer. Do they remember this? Do they have a grasp of how neglected James has been, and continues to be, due to their incessant needs? Of course not. They're 3 and 4yo, after all. 

But I'm exhausted by the constancy of the need. By the fact that they become MOST needy in direct correlation to when we are MOST stressed and busy. 

They only see what they have missed; what they don't have. At what point will they have healed enough to see, instead, what they have been given? How sweet their life is and how wonderful it is to be generous with instead of jealous of their siblings?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s

After a long separation

 I spent 5 weeks away from home for grad school. I knew it would be tough on the girls. Tried to put as many supports in place as possible.  They fared better than I'd expected. No major issues while I was gone. We've been home for five days now and Day 4 stuff finally came out.  Jane had been baby talking for several days. Then, Kate started it, too. Talked with each girl separately last night. Jane was quite articulate and mature--explaining how peeing herself, anger at me (both sad-anger because I was gone and also anger at anticipating getting in trouble), and baby talking and then being naughty were all connected. She can't say why these peeing and baby talking are connected to strong emotions about me, but she does know that they are. She can't say which comes first or how one leads to another but, again, she connects them as one.  Doesn't take a Freudian to observe that very young girls, neglected by their birth mother, would revert to baby like behaviors whe