Skip to main content

What Sensory Integration Disorder and Fetal Alchol Syndrom Look Like

These two disorders together look like a girl wearing pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and a winter coat with the hood up, standing outside in the sun in 80 degree heat.

This is what I saw yesterday while outside watering my garden. It's about 11am and I'm in shorts and a tank top and a huge sun hat, sweating away under the hot sun, wishing I could be in the shade. I look up and here comes Jane dressed for winter.

This is at least the fifth time this summer she's come outside dressed like this. Why? Because she can't find her sun hat. I have an inviolate rule that the children must wear sandals and a sun hat when playing outside. No more splinters and sun burns since the rule went into effect!! Once Kate, age 3, couldn't find her sun hat so she scrounged around among the winter things and found a knit cap and was running around in that. I explained the purpose of the sun hat and Kate now wears the right hat every time.

Jane is a year and a half older than Kate but she cannot grasp this concept. Since her winter coat has a hood it's a "hat" in her mind and so she will put on her winter coat and pull up the hood in order to meet the Hat Rule. (Don't ask me why it's still hanging on a hook in July and isn't packed away yet. I have five kids. Plus, in our state winter sometimes randomly comes back mid-summer just to tease us. The boots aren't put away either. Oh well.)

Here's the thing. She didn't even look hot. She wasn't red-faced or sweating or bothered at all. Her sensory system does not work.

I call her over to me and begin trying to lead her through a basic logic exercise by asking her simple questions.
  • Is that a winter coat?
  • Is the sun hot?
  • Does your hood keep the sun out of your eyes?
  • How does your body feel right now?
She knows she's done something wrong but she absolutely cannot remember what it is. She knows she had to take off and put away her winter coat last time she did this (probably as recently as last week) but she truly does not understand why.

I take her inside and start with the basics of teaching her what the words "hot" and "cold" actually mean. I put her in front of the window AC unit. I use my hair dryer on her. I put her hand in cold water and then warm water. We talk about eating ice vs. eating hot pizza right from the oven. Eventually she can reliably identify the terms hot and cold.

(Note: she still gets tripped up when applying the terms though, for example: "if you felt cold you would put on a blanket to get warmed up, right?" Using both cold and hot in the same sentence to show an opposite but connected relationship is beyond her logic ability.)

After she finally demonstrated a knowledge of what the sensations of hot and cold felt like, I moved on to clothing. I took her into her room. Yes, in her drawer most of clothing is shorts and short-sleeved shirts but there are some long pants and long-sleeved shirts because, hello, our weather is cooky and I'm not unpacking tubs of winter clothes if we want to sit outside on a cool evening.

We talked about how each clothing item makes us feel. I finally phrased it in "rule" form since that's what she prefers when learning something new. The rule was: more clothing makes us more hot. We don't want hot clothing when outside in the hot sun.

At the very end I asked her why she'd even put on the long pants and shirt when getting dressed this morning. She pointed to the AC window unit and said it makes her cold.

Oh lord. Kate came in as we were talking and confirmed it. Once I opened the topic both girls complained bitterly that they were always much too cold at night. Why?? Why hadn't the told us??

It's the trifecta. Sensory issues plus FAS and, oh yeah, childhood trauma and foster care and the inability to advocate for oneself.

So what does this do to me? It makes me feel unbalanced. I never know what deep misunderstanding or inability will manifest itself next. I feel wary--what am I missing? What need do they have that I don't even know is there?

And of course I project into the future. What will these issues do to her when she's trying to navigate social relationships in middle school? When she's learning to drive? When she's taking hard classes? When we add hormones and girl body issues to the mix?

Right now it's just a clueless little girl in a bright pink winter coat standing in the sun. Nobody sees but me. But what about when she's out in the world and everyone else can see the clueless girl under the spotlight?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi