Skip to main content

Tongue Thrust

Jane is stuck in the tongue-thrust stage of development. It took me over a year but I finally figured it out.

You know that stage in an infant's development when you first start feeding them solid foods? They're about 4 months old and so tiny you have to strap them in tight in the high chair so they don't flop over and bang their head on the tray. You've just bought new baby feeding spoons and someone has a camera ready as you open the baby food jar. You make faces at your baby and they are delighted and laugh their toothless grin back at you. Right when their mouth is open you slip that first spoonful in and immediately, reflexively, they thrust it right back out with an emphatic tongue thrust as their expression turns from confusion to horror. We capture the moment on camera and put it into their baby books and laugh about it later.

That reflexive tongue thrust pushing the food back out of the mouth is so cute at 4 months old. It's positively gross at 4 years old.

Combine the instinctive tongue thrust with a sensory disorder that means she can't sense or feel anything on her face and every meal she has food, combined with drool, running down her chin. It's not a pretty sight.

It took me a long time to figure out what was going on. This week I was seated at a different angle from her at the table and I finally saw it. She puts a bite in, then does this thing with her tongue like an infant tasting, but not liking, a food for the first time. Of course she does like the food (she likes all food and lots of it) so she's also enthusiastically eating as fast as she can all at the same time.

It's like her sensory disorder means she doesn't really feel the food or know where it is so she has to do these exaggerated tongue and open-mouthed chewing motions in order to interact with the food. Because she wants to interact with it. She loves food more than anything in the world and, when not monitored, will literally put her face right in her bowl and lap the food up.

Basic table manners has led me to correct Jane, as I've done with all my kids, when they're gross at the table. As every other parent has to do, I've taught all of them how to hold a fork, when to use a napkin, not to slurp their drinks, and to close their mouths when chewing, etc. It's a process but the rules are clear and all my other kids, including Kate, who is only 3, have mastered them.

I have reminded Jane to close her mouth when chewing at least once a day--probably 2-3 times a day, actually--for the approximately 570 days she's lived here. That's 570, or more likely, 1,140 daily reminders. At this point all I have to do is catch her eye and then close my lips tight. Don't even have to say anything.

But she won't do it unless I'm at the table and I've directly reminded her. I wonder what habit I'd still be doing after receiving over 1,000 continual reminders?

And she's just fine eating with her mouth closed, by the way. No breathing issues; no choking. She can eat an entire meal properly without slurping and drooling if she wants to. But she doesn't want to.

She still wants to eat like a baby and talk like a baby. The baby talk is almost constant right now. It seems to go in waves. This month has been another peak. I correct the worst of it but let most of it go because it's exhausting to deal with every word she says. I try to only focus on vocabulary such as, "The pwants gwowded" instead of saying, "The plants grew." (That's a real example from last week. I sent her inside to think about her words. She came out 10 minutes later and said the second phrase without prompting from me--so she knew the verb was 'grew' and was capable of pronouncing 'plants' but she chose to use baby talk the first time even though she knows it annoys me and gets her sent away from me. Why?!?!?)

So...kids are supposed to regress back into stages for a reason, right? We've all heard about the formerly potty trained kid who regresses after a major family stressor like a new sibling coming into the home. Is she going back to this stage of oral development for a reason?

Or, is this a neurological thing? Is she "stuck" in the oral development stage due to her FAS?

The hardest thing about coping with an almost-5-yr-old who eats like an infant and talks like a 2 year old is that sometimes she acts like a 7 yr old. Yesterday while getting ready to go to the beach I sent her all over the house to fetch stuff we needed. She had to listen closely and follow multi-step directions.

For example, "Go look on the deck for the bag of sand toys we took to the beach last time. Count how many shovels are inside. If there aren't three shovels then go get more until we have three. Don't get big shovels, though. Find small ones that will fit in the bag along with three buckets."

She did that exact task perfectly, quickly, and without any follow up needed from me. She showed me what she'd put in the bag and explained why she'd swapped some items when choosing the sand toys. By the way, she spoke clearly and used mature vocabulary during that conversation.

It's well documented that kids with a traumatic past exhibit these multiple-stage behaviors. Knowing it's a real thing doesn't make it any less puzzling to watch, though.

The girl who can completely independently get up in the morning, use the bathroom, get dressed, come downstairs, get a bowl and a box of cereal from the cupboard, open the box and pour the cereal, correctly refasten the box flaps and put it away, and take her bowl to the table to eat should not then be mouthing those Cheerios like a wobbly infant tasting food for the first time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi