Skip to main content

Birth Family Visit

We saw Grandma J, the girls' paternal grandmother, today for the first time in 4-5 months. We met at a park we've met at before. The weather was first muggy and then it rained so, thankfully, the park was nearly empty.

I had masks on the kids when we got out of the car and told them we'd wear masks while saying hello and hugging but then they could take them off to play. Of course within a few minutes of taking masks off they were still right next to her as she pushed them on the swings, etc. So, really, the masks were useless. My three are very obedient and used to mask wearing but I'd challenge anyone to keep face masks on three little kids on a playground (which makes me wonder about next school year...but that's another topic altogether.)

I didn't tell the kids they were going to see her until we were in the car. I've decided I'll always give the girls some prep but less than 24 hours so they don't obsess over a visit beforehand but also so they don't think she'll pop up at any odd moment with no warning whatsoever.

Jane was super excited and cheering happily when I made the announcement. Kate was ambivalent. No reaction whatsoever. I don't think she has any connection with Grandma J at all, to tell the truth.

Grandma J was very teary eyed when we arrived but she held it together. She just seemed sad and depressed. This isolation has been hard on everyone but I imagine even harder on someone who derives their meaning and identity from others. I felt compassionate towards her but, honestly, just unable to take on her emotional burden as well. I am stretched to my limit meeting the needs of my 5 kids and husband. I can't prop her up, as well.

I'm sad to be at this place. I wish we were in more of a reciprocal relationship. I wish we could mutually support each other the way my mom and I do. But mid-way through our visit I actually began to wonder if she was on something. Speed or an upper or some sort of pharmaceutical crutch. Her mind was utterly disorganized. She couldn't finish a sentence or track with what I was saying. I'd try to share some cute little story about the girls and she couldn't even follow that. Interrupting mid-way through with a different story of her own. It was weird. And a reminder that she is consumed with her life and really unable to enter into ours.

At one point she was talking about missing the girls and I, trying to be nice. said that they missed her. She responded with something acknowledging that she misses them, and needs them, far more than they miss or need her. I just didn't know what to say to that. It's true. But sad.

I was watching Jane pretty closely throughout. Some signs were good. She did NOT go into serious misbehavior and brattiness like we used to see when around Jackie. She did a little bit of baby talk but stopped when prompted. She didn't act frantic or hyper or disregulated. (Then again, we're at a playground so the norm is to run around. But, on reflection, she was super focused climbing on this big apparatus that required concentration and some thinking/spatial skills to navigate and she did well so, truly, her mind wasn't in chaos, that I could see.)

The one weird thing she did was get super obsessed about food. The kids had a huge breakfast at 8:30. We were at the park by 9:00. Jackie broke out the snacks by 9:10. While sheltering from some rain we got into my packed snacks by 10:00. So, Jane ate all morning. She got that disassociated, obsessive look in her eye when asking for food. She couldn't even video chat on the phone with her aunt as grandma was trying to make her do. If I opened an applesauce cup for Kate then Jane couldn't even finish what she was saying to her aunt and instead started panic-begging: can I have some? I'm hungry! I want one!

She was pounding down one pudding cup after another, eating them as fast as Jackie would open them, until I intervened. Her belly was literally bulging and rock hard and I wondered if she'd vomit when we went back to playing. She looked at me with this glazed look in her eye, angry and uncomprehending, when I intervened and said snack time was done.

Then, as we were leaving of course Jackie broke out the toys and started bringing bags to my car as I'm buckling up the kids. I accepted some nice puzzles and then said we needed to go because it was starting to thunder and lightning, not just rain. I hadn't even pulled out of the parking lot before Jane began begging for, "Grandma's toys".

Then we'd barely walked in the house and Jane started begging for the toys again. She was obsessive about getting/taking/having gifts of any type from Jackie.

I know that her relationship with Jackie is truly not about emotional support or connection whatsoever. I don't think Jackie is capable of having that kind of relationship with anyone. Their relationship is Jackie the rescuer who brings food and toys to sad and hungry Jane. Jackie brings stuff; Jane temporarily feels better. That's it. Endless repeat of more and more stuff needed to maintain relationship.

I think this visit brought more clarity to me. It's been so long and I've seen Jane grow so much. Seeing her revert to old behaviors I haven't seen in a long time reminds me of their source.

Now I'll watch and see if there's continued blow-back in the coming days. Will a visit with one person from her past for 2.5 hrs at a park be more or less disruptive than our family gone for a week to our cottage? It took her three days to unwind from being gone for a week. Hopefully this visit won't have be more disruptive than that.

In summary, I'm just sad. I wanted a better, closer relationship with the girl's birth family and I invested a lot of hours and effort into forming that relationship. But, at the end of the day, I have to acknowledge that these are broken people who did not have the girls placed with them for good reason. They aren't capable of being meaningful support people for these girls. Once again, the girls lose out.

We'll maintain minimal contact a couple times a year and I'll continue to send pictures each month as I've done for 19 months now, so they don't totally lose track over the years, but it's not in the girl's best interest to have lots of contact with these broken people. Maybe when the girls are adults and in a good place they can navigate more contact without negative effects on them. I truly hope so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi