Skip to main content

The Simple Life

Spring is really here. The sun is shining, flowers are blooming, my children are outside playing in the dirt every second of the day. I'm getting yard projects crossed off my list, we're having fires outside just because we don't want to come back in the house. Everyone is going to bed with sore muscles and clear minds.

And Jane, like a shy flower, is blossoming at last! A few weeks ago she began earnestly "helping" around the house. It's only things that a 4-yr-old can do but she does it all on her own without prompting and is so deeply proud of herself that it's absolutely endearing. I hug her and kiss the top of her head and thank her genuinely. She beams. It's lovely.

I love it when she has her own idea instead of copying someone else. I love it when she focuses and completes a task. I love having something to genuinely praise her for. The day she organized all the shoes on the porch into neat pairs nearly made me cry with happiness--finally, a child who wants an orderly house! Hallelujah!

Last night I was working in the yard constructing a wooden box to hold our firewood. I'm using old wood that came out of our attic because I want to be more conscious about reusing things. I'm even pounding out and, when possible, using the 100-yr-old nails from these boards. It's a good project I'm enjoying but fitting together irregular wood takes some concentration. Jane was there with me, one of those rare evenings when the other littles had each gone to bed early. She wanted to help so I let her tag along as I moved from yard to garage, measuring and cutting, then nailing boards into place. Although I could've placed the nails within my reach I put them on a bench and then "needed" her to bring me nails.

And it was just...easy. It was a kid underfoot, chattering about little kid things, while I worked. It was exactly like my memories of being around my parents when I was a child. Tagging along with dad around the farm. Being with my mom in the kitchen. Simple, easy, happy being together. My ideal of parenting life.

Later I was pondering why it felt different, so much less stressful, to have her around me and I came to two conclusions. First, I'm so much less stressed. Unstressed parenting means mindful parenting. I had nothing bothering me, nothing distracting me, from being simply present with her. I was thinking about measuring and cutting boards...nothing more than that. So her little sayings were cute and entertaining. Watching her thought process as she asked questions about what I was doing was endearing. Her happiness when helping made me smile.

Second, she has really settled these last few weeks. The quarantine has actually been good for her. Not seeing birth family. Living the most predictably stable life possible. Everyone is here all the time. There is nothing to worry about. Life is about as simple as it possibly could be. So many of her most worrisome behaviors are fading away. The chaotic play is decreasing. She isn't so competitive with the other little kids, or as prone to hide things. She's less stressed about food. She can take a correction for a minor thing without it cascading to a major behavioral event.

So, is this what I would say to families? You can't really bond until every last bit of stress is gone? Your child cannot settle into your home until they have no contact with birth family whatsoever? You can't parent well until you can live an unstressed life?

I don't know anyone who could pull off all those requirements while a child is in foster care, or even just while the average family lives their normal life. But I wish I'd known this stage was coming to our family. I wish I'd known that (ironically while the whole world is sick) we'd have this time of sheltering together and healing together. That our lives would become as simplified as they possibly could be and in this simplicity there would be growth, and bonding, and love.

For the very first time I feel my smile in my eyes, not just forced upon my lips, when she looks at me and says, "Mama?". I feel my heart smiling back. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s