Skip to main content

Moving On in Order to Bond

Today I was snuggling Kate at a random moment during the day. She asks me to hold her at least 5-10 times per day. It's usually for just a few minutes. Sometimes I feel like a human heater--that she just needs a moment to warm up before dashing off pell mell. Or maybe a human charger--she needs to re-energize?

So, this morning I was holding her and something she said led me to, out of the blue, ask her if she wanted to see Grandma. She said no. We talked a bit more and she was sad but clear in her thoughts. When I asked her why she didn't want to see Grandma anymore she said, "Because I want to always stay here with you." Which, from a 3 yr old, is about the clearest definition of bonding I can think of.

Now, of course I take all this with a grain of salt. She's only 3 and has a personality that's prone to please. She can be easily swayed to say absolutely anything. And, she could change her mind tomorrow. If Grandma pulled up in her car and said, "wanna go to the park with me?" Kate would jump in and go without hesitation.

But I was really careful in how I phrased it and how neutral my tone was because I want to hear her thoughts and I want her to know she can always speak her mind to me. So, I brought this up as casually as if I was asking her if she preferred spaghetti or hot dogs. And Kate seemed thoughtful but not stressed when responding. I think her answer reflects what she's feeling, what I'm feeling, what our whole family is experiencing--that this is the time to connect deeply without distractions.

If Kate had been boisterous and over-the-top in a declaration of love for me I wouldn't have believed her. I would've thought she was trying to say what she thought I wanted to hear. But there was something about her sadness, her quiet thoughtfulness, that told me these are her genuine feelings. Sometimes you have to let go in order to move on.

This afternoon all the kids and I were in the living room together. Just hanging out; no purpose. I watched the three littles climb all over Seth and Gus. At one point Kate was sitting on the back of the couch playing with Seth's hair (which has gotten ridiculously long during the shut down) and he didn't even hardly notice. There's a familiarity now that's deepening every day.

Today is Mother's Day. I was feeling guilty about not doing anything for Aunt and Grandma since I had sweet little magnets made up last year with the girls' pictures on them. We all met at the zoo and the girls went off with them for a fun day. It was a big deal last year. Now this year--nothing.

But, honestly, why was I feeling guilt? Image. I don't like how this looks. Oh, so the adoption is finalized and suddenly they hear nothing from us? Well, yes, that's factually true. But not because of me. I'm not cutting off girls who are desperate to see their family. Instead, I'm reluctantly following the lead of a 3 and 4.5 yr old as best I can, trying to decipher their actions and moods to determine what they need and want. I'm fully aware that I'll take the blame for this and I don't like it one bit. If I had my choice we'd still be in picture-perfect contact every two weeks like regular. But, since I am now their mother this is the role I have--to protect them and shield them from others even to the point of not telling those "others" that the girls don't want to see them.

I do still send pictures very regularly--about 20 to 30 each month showing a wide variety of things they do. And, this morning I sent a little video of the girls singing a song. I did not tell the girls "this is for Grandma!" or prompt them to say, "hi Grandma!" during the video as I would have in the past. But I knew why I was taking the recording when I asked them if they wanted to record a song on my phone.

So this is me letting go in order to move on. I have to set aside the fear of Grandma's reaction to my choices. I cannot mange her emotions. She's known me for over a year now. At this point either she believes I'm acting in the girls' best interests or she doesn't. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s