Skip to main content

Easter Bonnet Tea Party Pictures

Easter was hard this year. I didn't know how much I needed those hymns and readings to feel the renewal of spring until we were without them. It is hard to arise from the hibernation of winter when we are now hibernating from the world.

But in the midst of all this three things happened. a) I already had sweet dresses for the girls from photos we took to celebrate their adoption. b) a neighbor dropped off beautifully decorated cupcakes as thanks after I made cloth face masks for her family. c) a friend cleared out her crafty closet and donated a random collection of paper, ribbon and beads to my kids.

I'd told Jane weeks ago about the idea of an Easter Bonnet and she was all starry-eyed in love with the idea of a big decorated hat. Easter morning she asked for it. Honestly, my first thought was, damn that girl and her memory and her incessant need for more-more-more. But I buttoned my lip and instead dumped out the bag of ribbons and told the girls to find some they liked while I went upstairs and dug out two hats from the back of my closet. Tie a ribbon around the hatband and let them prance around the house and be done with it, right?

I came down to find both girls clutching armfuls of ribbons grinning up at me in sheer delight. Oh geez. I went back upstairs for needle and thread and came down and just started sewing them on. Kate wanted a green-polka-dot ribbon on her hat that clashed horrifically with her pale pink-and-gray dress. Oh well. Who the hell was going to see it, anyway?

Nobody had the energy to set up a photo background in the house. Seth is a grumpy perfectionist when it comes to lighting now that he's gotten serious about his photography. But just that morning the daffodils across the road had bloomed. Seriously, they were still closed the day before.

I threw the kids, the cupcakes, an antique cake stand, and Seth in the car and drove the 300 feet down the road to the daffodil patch. What ensued was kinda magical. Maybe all the more so because it was so unexpected? First, the hats had to be photographed, then the kids eating the cupcakes, and then, because the girls loved to swirl their dresses they went to the open meadow and ran around and were adorable and Seth got the best pictures he's ever taken.

I'm sorry I can't show faces here. But here's a taste of the sweetness of this unexpected, homemade-with-what's-on-hand Easter tea party.







James, Jane and Kate, running across the field. Then they'd hold hands and race back together. Sheer joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s