Skip to main content

Talking with the Girls after a Visit

During our visit with Grandma today Jane was really pissy. Flat out angry. If Grandma asked her a question she would stare right at her but not answer until I prompted her to. But even as she was pissy she was also whiny and clingy--insisting on holding Grandma's hand in a babyish voice and then yanking incessantly on Grandma while we walked.

It's a regression to behavior she only ever displays when with Grandma. I've learned to pretty much ignore it because we only see Grandma for a few hours per month now. It ceases as soon as we leave the visit.

After we got home I decided to try to talk to Jane about it since she's been interested in talking through her feelings with me lately. I opened the topic in an as-neutral-as-possible way and just invited her to talk. After chatting a bit I asked her how she felt. She did the super fake smile and said she felt happy. I just flat out countered her by saying, "Really? Your face didn't look happy to me."

That caught her off guard and first she said, "I can't smile all the time because it makes my teeth hurt."Hmm, that's a new one.

I named two specific times where she looked angry and asked what she was feeling during those times. She said she was trying to remember something during those times. I asked what she was trying to remember. She said, "I was trying to remember who took me to all those houses, who said that I should go, who sent me to lots and lots of houses?" I confirmed that she was referring to when she'd regularly bounce between multiple houses (birthmother, fictive grandpa, grandma, aunt) every few days.

Hoo boy. Okay, so she's starting to be honest about unhappy times in her past. That's good. And she can clearly connect Grandma to them and the role she played in those events. That's good because it's honest and real. But now what do I tell her?

I thought a minute and then I said that this is exactly why we still see Grandma, because Jane has questions I can't answer since this occurred before I met her. So, Jane should speak up and ask these questions when she's with Grandma instead of being angry with her. I spoke very briefly, in age-appropriate language, about saying how we feel and letting someone know so they can answer our questions, and that people can't help us if we don't speak up and ask.

It's a big lesson for a 4 yr old but I don't think it's too early to teach her healthy relationship habits--especially when I see her doing unhealthy ones (glaring and being unresponsive because deep down she's angry but then claiming she was happy all the time).

After I said she should ask Grandma questions about who sent her to different houses next time we see her I also added that, from what I've been told, it was her birthmother and Grandma who decided to send her to Papa Ken's (fictive grandpa) house every weekend since this is what Grandma and Ken have both directly told me. I told her the truth as I know it because I don't think Grandma will be truthful when Jane asks her. But I also left it that she should ask Grandma and this is why we keep our connection with Grandma.

Near the end of our talk Jane became very animated and said that "nobody watched me, nobody took care of me" at both birthmom's house and Papa Ken's house. I was surprised by this--she's said this about birthmom but never about Ken. In reflection I think she also feels this way about Grandma's house but is wrestling with saying a bad thing about someone she just saw and whom she loves. Ken is becoming as distant to her as birthmom is so I think she feels free to speak honestly about him.

This is what she's most angry about when she talks to me right now. That nobody took care of her; nobody watched her. She says it in both a hurt and angry tone and then she comes over and crawls in my lap. While I think other abusive stuff happened to her primarily it is this neglect that is at the core of her trauma.

She added more details about birthmom's house today. She said the floors were cold and birthmom didn't wear socks so her feet were always cold. (I wonder if really she was remembering that her own feet were cold.) She said the floors were cold because there were no rugs. I know this is true because birthmom lived in gov't housing with no carpets allowed due to issues with bedbugs (per Grandma's report).

Also, Kate began chewing her fingernails yesterday when I told her we'd be seeing Grandma and was at it nonstop today. Ugh. It is good we're down to one visit per month.

I liken seeing Grandma to squeezing puss from a wound. She's the irritant that brings the puss to the surface. I don't like introducing the girls to the irritant once a month but it's important to address the deep down puss that is their past and not let it stay scabbed over and rotting inside them. A horrible image but all too accurate nonetheless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s