Skip to main content

Social Media in the world of Open Adoption

Tomorrow we tell Grandma that the adoption was finalized. I've been preparing a letter we will give her that a) thanks her for continuing to be a part of their lives, b) assures her we want that to continue, and c) outlines our boundaries going forward.

I'll talk this through in person but I also wanted to give her a letter so she'd have something concrete to read if she became too emotional while we were talking and also so she could show it to others in her life who could help her understand. I've already called the Aunt and told her about the adoption finalization and she agrees this is a good plan.

One thing I waffled with is trying to manage her social media posts. On one hand it's ridiculous to even try. She can open up new accounts I don't know about--she can show people pictures she takes on her phone when she's with them in person. If she's going to have access to the girls then I cannot control what she does with that access.

On the other hand, I can at least be clear with her when I don't like something I do see. So, a few days ago I created a FB account under a pseudonym, telling her it would be the girls' page so they could communicate with her, and then friended her. She accepted the request and now I can see what she's putting up.

I scrolled through last night. First--to get this irrelevant bit off my chest--there's something sad about really messed up people posting one self-help meme after another. I've decided that's my new determination of someone's true mental health. If they're always telling you how to be a better person, they're probably not applying the advice to their own life.

Secondly, I didn't see her son listed as one of her FB friends but there were a lot of "unsavory characters", shall we say. I didn't know creating a profile pic of you posing with most of your breasts exposed while flipping the bird was such a common thing. Also guys glaring angrily as if they're about to start a fight. Seriously, if you have that many angry, slutty friends.... Yikes.

Third, yep, there was video she posted of the girls playing. And the video was fine EXCEPT that I am talking about a sensitive topic during the video! I was shocked. I remember that day and I know I had no idea she was recording a video while we were chatting. It was bizarre to hear my voice. And, why would she need to post that video? The girls were just running around, not doing anything particularly cute or even looking at the camera. So, was she intentionally capturing me talking?

I'm not going to make a big deal of it right now because it's already out there but I hope that knowing I'm seeing what she posts will be a deterrent for future questionable things. Cuz this lady has very poor judgment and could do some scary stuff in the future.

Social media is definitely going to be the hardest part of this relationship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s