Skip to main content

Postpartum Feelings All out of Context

January been a rough month after 2019 was a rough year. Theo and I were spending some time together this Sunday afternoon talking it all through. I told him that in many ways I'm, weirdly, feeling like I'm in that 3 month postpartum zone. I always said my pregnancies were 12 months long because I wasn't really myself until my newborns were about 3 months old.

Well, I feel like this adoption process has been a 15 month pregnancy that still isn't over.
  • I've got so much to worry about that I'm not sleeping. 
  • I'm having all these perimenopausal hormonal fluctuations that make my thinking foggy and my emotions too raw. I feel too tender and exposed, with no capacity for maintaining a thick skin about anything anymore.
  • I have three little kids who need contact with my body all day long and while I've always been a hands-on mother at some point I am just done with other people needing access to my body for 12 straight hours a day. And I have to have my hands on their bodies all day long, too. I'm still wiping butts and helping them get dressed and wiping faces and helping them wash hands and lifting them in/out of the car and buckling their seat belts, not to mention the hugging and kissing of every boo boo.   
So, sleep-deprived, hormonal, and exhausted by the nonstop physical demands. Yep, that sounds postpartum to me. But, here's the difference. When you have this tiny little baby you are also, in the midst of all that hardship, falling so deeply in love! You are seeing first smiles and gurgles and getting those tiny baby snuggles. And everyone around you is so excited for you and thrilled with your baby and wanting to help. The excitement and happiness carry you through those physical hardships.

Adoption, of older children at least, has none of that. I can't really, fully let myself go and fall in love with kids who aren't truly, legally my own children yet. And a 4 yr old with sensory integration issues is not nearly so easily to love and cuddle as a newborn.

No wonder I feel like I've lost all joy. On Friday Theo and I took Seth to go visit another college. It was an outing for just the three of us and we wanted to make it a special time for him. I'm so incredibly proud of his accomplishments and the creative person he's becoming. I am truly excited about launching him into the world and can't wait to see where he'll go and what he'll do.

But, as we're getting our tour every single time someone from the college said something nice, something even remotely along the lines of "we'll take care of your kid" I started tearing up. I had to keep walking away and pretend looking at bulletin boards to hide my ridiculous emotions. Because I'm also so incredibly scared. I feel like so many things have gone wrong in my life this past year that it's easily within the realm of possibility that more bad things could happen. My anxieties over Seth's health and safety are out of control.

This morning, in Quaker meeting, someone shared that she's been struggling with anxiety and having trouble sleeping as a result. She said that what helped her was the simple thought: of course I should be anxious about this. Just acknowledging that there are things we are afraid of, unknowns we worry over, and that it's normal to feel anxiety. That really helped me.

Of course I'm stressed about the adoption (possibly finalized this week, though we were to exactly this point on Nov 23rd and look that resulted in a two month delay).

Of course I'm stressed about my first child choosing, and then going off to, college.

Of course I'm stressed by parenting a special needs child (oh, Theo and I went to the therapist on Saturday and she confirmed that, yes, Jane is on the "severe" end of the needs spectrum and we should expect to be in therapy until she's 7 or 8 and, by the way, if we don't have her bonded to us and able to feel empathy by that point then she's probably doomed and will go completely off the rails as an adolescent. Wow, you ask your therapist not to hold back and then she doesn't and suddenly you wish she'd go back to sugar coating things. But, it was good for Theo to hear how dire this is and realize I haven't been "catastrophizing" her needs as he accuses me of doing.)

Of course I'm stressed because I really need to go back to work for the sake of my sanity but I worry about the transition to preschool for the littles.

Of course I'm stressed every time I realize poor Gus is last on my list and probably being neglected.

So, I'll go to sleep with the words of wisdom from a Quaker elder, why yes, of course you feel anxious, why wouldn't you be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi