Skip to main content

Christmas Thoughts--Grandma's Visits and Gifts

Quick Update: a few days ago Grandma's sister, Aunt H, called me to warn me that Grandma had snuck her son into a family event so he could see two of his children (he has five kids by three women; our girls are his youngest two). She'd begged us to allow her to take the girls, by herself, to this same event. So, she'd been actively trying to give her child-molesting son contact with our two young daughters. I need to remember this fact every time she asks for any contact with the girls.

I was remembering this at the Christmas Eve service at the church last night. The girls were performers in the pageant (a sheep and a dog) and after I'd been given a program I realized that their names were probably in it. Grandma didn't have a program. I felt this cold chill and realized that if she took a program with her then she'd probably give it to her son, who lives with her, and then he'd see our last names in print. So, I hid my program and we went through the service without a program, unable to do the responsive readings, get the hymn numbers to sing, etc. And all the while terrified that some kindly soul would see us not participating and offer us a program so we could join in.

I hate that this is what I was focused on during my daughters' first Christmas Pageant. I hate that I ever trusted her enough tell her our name or invite her to our home last summer. I mean, she's probably already passed all this information on to her son already. She probably gave it to him as soon as I gave it to her. My concern over the program was probably silly. But what if...? What if she'd kept this one promise to us and then the program did get into her son's hands so he found out after all...?

Trust is such a fragile thing. All I ever wanted was to build a basic relationship with her, for the sake of the girls. I was wrong. I wish we'd never done anything. There's a reason she never got custody of these girls.

During that phone call with Aunt she told me lots more about Grandma. Like that fact that she's been evicted again, is a hoarder, etc.

In the year that we've known her she's lived at least three places she'd call home plus bounced among many, many people's houses for a night or a weekend in between. Every single time she visits the girls she brings them stuff--clothes or toys. She talks incessantly about shopping and that she brings stuff to all her grandchildren every time she sees them.

About two weeks before Christmas, after our last visit where she talked about getting gifts for each member of our family, I worked hard composing the gentlest email I could asking her to refrain from doing that. I talked about valuing experiences over stuff, no playroom for the kids and already overflowing dresser drawers and toy bins, etc.

I might as well have been farting in the wind. Grandma made three trips from her car into our house with armloads of gifts--and then, when she thought I wasn't looking, she snuck in another bag and hid it under the table. (Please, someone explain the value of sneaking in a gift she knows I'll see eventually? Did that moment of undermining me give her a little thrill? Can't she think ahead to the fact that I'll be angry when I do find it? )

So, I'm angry that she didn't respect my request for less stuff. (Incidentally, if she just wasn't bringing them 2-3 bags of crap EVERY TWO WEEKS ALREADY I wouldn't care how much she'd brought this Christmas. What she brought this Christmas, 3-4 gifts for each little kid and 1 gift for each big boy, was a totally reasonable amount for a grandma to bring. The problem is that she has already been sending me to Goodwill to offload her "gifts" every month for the past year!)

I want to be charitable and understand that she has very few real relationships in her life and that it's very meaningful to her to be The Giver of Gifts and she loves it when the kids get excited about what she's brought.

I also believe that now that I've pretty blatantly said I give away stuff she brings that I can continue this practice guilt-free and that's all I really wanted. So long as I, essentially, have her permission to get rid of the items after she's had her big moment as The Giver then I can let go of my angst over ditching the stuff. I still believe her habits are deeply unhealthy and this is yet another reason to limit her contact with the girls, but at least I don't have to get emotionally wrapped up in her illness myself.

(Because, isn't that what sneaking the final bag inside was all about--winding me up in her constant need to create drama rather than invest in authentic, adult relationships?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi