Skip to main content

SCARY PEOPLE

We are finally reading deeply thru the paperwork we were given when we assigned the adoption papers. At first, skimming through, I thought it was all stuff we already knew. Nope. Theo is finding some real gems buried in there.

Like, Grandma who knows our last name and address and has been to our house and driven the girls off in our car has a prior conviction for FELONIOUS ASSAULT.

What the hell??!! Nobody thought to inform us of this? Back when I was quizzing every social worker and relative all about grandma?? When I was directly seeking info on whether we should trust her and let her have contact?? That little tidbit didn't come up?

In case you're wondering, here's what felonious assault is:
"Felonious assault, also called assault with a dangerous weapon, occurs when you assault another person with a gun, knife, brass knuckles, or some other weapon that has the potential of causing serious physical injury or death."

And while Theo is doing his deep reading I'm all over FB hunting down the various profiles of these people. I get on Grandpa's profile (the maternal grandfather who sent me the angry message wondering who we are to make decisions about the kids) and every single profile of him going back for years HAS A GUN in it. He has a business of catching and killing pests like bats and raccoons. He has many pictures of dead coyotes caught in brutal traps in which it is clear that they thrashed and suffered a bloody death. He's smiling proudly next to the dead bodies.

Most recent profile picture? Him with a pistol held tight to his chest like maybe he's hiding it in what looks like a public place, such as possibly the lobby of a Wal-Mart, and the frame around it says, "I am the NRA". 

This is the guy who is pissed at us for kidnapping his grandchildren. 

I am officially, seriously, frightened. 

Also, after hours perusing these people's bazillion FB profiles because they have to start a new one every few years, I am struck by the fact that this kind of person only posts pictures of themselves. I intentionally went looking on the birthmother's page for pictures of my girls but, nope, it's a bazillion sexy poses and frames and filters. That's it. And then all their friends commenting how sexy they are. 

Good to know that while her children were being removed and then her parental rights terminated, their birthmother was posting sexy profile pics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s