Skip to main content

Lessons from the Therapist

Today was Jane's last therapy appointment. Last January I began earnestly looking for a family therapist experienced in the foster-to-adopt world. It was hard to find one who also accepted Medicaid. I wasn't wowed by her but she was nice enough and I certainly welcomed a listening ear when I needed to vent and ask for advice.

I've felt for the past few weeks that I'm kinda done with seeing a therapist. I don't see her doing anything astounding with Jane. I'm past the point of desperately seeking advice. The more Jane has become "my" daughter the less I've needed outside help. This seems like a natural and healthy progression for me.

But, I couldn't end, or more accurately, put on hiatus, our time with the therapist because I won't do anything that'd trigger more paperwork and delays from the agencies. I do believe we'll need therapists at times in our future but right now it's okay to take a break. I wish I could've had this conversation openly and honestly with the therapist today.

So I sat in the office looking at her and feeling a tinge of guilt that I couldn't give her warning that this is her good-bye session with Jane. But, here's the lesson I realized I've learned from dealing with family-centered bureaucracies this past year. I may like a person but that doesn't mean I should trust them.

To like but not to trust. This is a very strange new concept for me. But I feel it encapsulates the relationships I've had in the past with parents of some of my students, and also the kind of relationship the girls Grandma has with us. Everyone can be jovial and friendly when around each other, but those parents living some behaviors they know I'd question aren't about to tell me the full story of their home life. Grandma worked hard to make us like her enough to let her into our home, but there was never going to be a mutual exchange of trust where she told us, face-to-face, about the felony assault conviction in her past.

I feel like I'm learning to think like a criminal. Like someone who lives just slightly outside the law. Someone who doesn't want a person in authority, required to make reports by the nature of their job, to have too close of a look into their lives.

And all I'm doing is taking a break from therapy for awhile! Hardly a crime. Yet I'm so tired of the scrutiny and absurd amount of paperwork that accompanies every parenting decision I make with foster kids.

It's hard to explain what it'll mean to have this adoption finalized. Mainly just a sense of relief that no one is looking over our shoulder anymore second guessing everything. No more outside people having equal say into our home as we do.

In order for us to truly become one family unit we need a break from everyone--therapists, social workers, even birth family.

Every time I realize that we're one day closer to being able to take a break from everyone I feel just a bit happier. A bit less stressed.

Because I don't want to be the kind of person who likes but doesn't trust. I'm ready to going back to being plain old me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s