Skip to main content

Prayers for my Enemies

I have read that the best way to stop being angry at someone is to pray for them. It's excellent advice. I've used it before and found it to be a humbling and calming experience.

Today is, maybe, the last visit by social workers. I say maybe because they said this for the past two months and then, oh wait, we screwed up the paperwork, now you're still in limbo, we need to visit again next month.

The house is clean; the children have been warned. I'm ready. Except for the little issue of my anger that incompetent, stupid people who've harmed and stressed my family in the past are coming to evaluate me sometime today. (Oh, it's an "unannounced" visit this month so I'm supposed to sit around today and tomorrow and wait--it's worse than waiting for the cable guy.)

I woke up early today after barely sleeping last night. Went downstairs to a quiet house and made myself a cup of coffee and tried to pray.

"Dear God, please help Kyra not mess up her own paperwork. Again."

"Dear God, please help Calli not to be so stupid. About everything."

"Dear God, please help their supervisors actually begin to get a clue how much more training these incompetent girls still need."

I'm not sure these are exactly the prayers I need to be saying but they are heartfelt. 

P.S. I finally read through every word of the multi-page report concluding the Special Investigation. I was shocked to learn that parts of my phone conversation, as well as every email I wrote during that time, were recorded and included in that report.

I think I should've been told that, essentially, everything you say can and will be used against you.

Where are the Miranda rights for this? Isn't the risk of children being removed from your home every bit as serious as being arrested?

But this is how they operate. Super nice and soothing to your face, appearing as if they sympathize and agree. Encouraging you to talk. Without informing you everything you say and write is now part of an investigation. I don't know how this is legal. At the least it is deeply unethical.

What does it say about someone that their very upset client calls them up to talk and they portray themselves as a listening friend who empathizes and encourages the conversation to go on for at least 20 minutes, while making no mention that they're recording the conversation? It's slimy. It really is. 

(To clarify: I didn't say or write anything problematic. In fact, the email that I wrote so simply explained my complaint that I'm letting it stand as my only response to the allegations and I'm not bothering to write a formal response as I'm legally entitled to. I'm not ashamed or concerned about anything I said or wrote. I am just deeply shocked that they're allowed to include my words in the report without ever telling me at any time during the investigation that they were planning to do that.)

So, no, I don't trust these people. At all. My goal is to say as little as possible and get them out of my house as quickly as I can. So much for help and support from our foster care agency.  What a joke.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s