Skip to main content

Wrapping Things Up

We are approaching the end of the hardest year our family has endured since, well, it's very first one.

(In our first year of marriage Theo and I coped with the death of his mother a week before our wedding; an unplanned, high-risk pregnancy; two moves; and struggling to live on one salary that didn't cover both rent and groceries. Besides being newly married and having no clue how to actually live together. Really nothing we'll ever face will be harder than that year. Honestly.)

But, back to present day. Things are winding down.

1) The house painters are gone. Eight days of "final touch-ups that will just take a few hours". Eight days of watching them patch a spot sloppily with putty so the putty got on the green trim. Then repainting the green trim to cover the putty. Then repainting the yellow house paint where they slopped the green trim paint. True story. Now multiply by every inch of a two-story house with a porch, chimney, and 19 windows and three exterior doors each with old-fashioned trim or shutters or both. So, the 3 week job actually took 9 weeks. And they only possibly poisoned the dog once when she laid in some paint and then licked it off herself. Shockingly, the men who left tools all over my yard and could not remember to latch the gates did not, actually, injure any of the three toddlers living here. So, there's that to be grateful for.

2) Jane's final neurologists' appt went well. He agreed with what I've been seeing and has diagnosed her with two new things to fully capture the picture of her needs.

a) Sensory Integration Disorder--sensory seeking. She'll begin seeing an Occupational Therapist who I hope will give me more tools and ideas for how to help her cope when she becomes disregulated.

b) Psychogenic Conversion Disorder. This conveys that there is significant enough trauma in her past that when she becomes extremely physically exhausted her brain can "short-circuit" and cause a neurological episode kinda like a seizure except it is not a seizure. She does not have epilepsy. She does not need medication. Talk therapy that's addressing her past trauma should be all she needs. And we already see a good therapist once a week who specializes in foster care/adoption and has been very helpful and insightful.

Incidentally, Kate's reaction to extremely upsetting emotions (fear/anger) of holding her breath till she passes out is also decreasing. She just did it a few moments ago because I walked in on her being extremely naughty with an object she knows she isn't allowed to touch and sent her to bed 20 minutes early as a consequence. Going up the stairs I knew she was going to pass out so I was right there and had a hand ready and guided her to laying down as she passed out. I then stood over her, stern-faced, and quietly directed her to continue on up the stairs and to her bed when she came to (a few seconds later). After months and months of coddling and comforting her through these episodes I've learned that giving them as little power as possible, reacting with no drama but also no sympathy, has brought them almost completely to an end. She's now doing them about once every two weeks instead of 2-3 times a day at her worst point.

I mention this because passing out seems like another kind of a "neurological short-circuit" similar to Jane's episodes. Having such strong emotions that you stop breathing is a pretty big reaction to simple things all toddlers have to face, like, getting punished for stealing a sibling's toy. So, her learning to cope with those big feelings in a more healthy way seems like a step towards her healing from her own past trauma.

3) There is nothing more for us to do, as far as paperwork, for the adoption to be finalized. It's just a matter of the agency submitting the final report and then the state-level agency approving it and sending it to the judge for her signature. I'm told it's taking 30-40 days from submission. So, another few weeks to wrap up their report, then...maybe finalization by early to mid-November? They came to us on November 30, 2018. I'm pretty sure they'll be adopted before reaching that one year anniversary date. It's hard to believe how fast this has gone.

It seems weirdly appropriate that this feeling of conclusion is happening right when summer is ending and the harvest year is also wrapping up. I'm ready to huddle down for the winter and mother my babes. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s

After a long separation

 I spent 5 weeks away from home for grad school. I knew it would be tough on the girls. Tried to put as many supports in place as possible.  They fared better than I'd expected. No major issues while I was gone. We've been home for five days now and Day 4 stuff finally came out.  Jane had been baby talking for several days. Then, Kate started it, too. Talked with each girl separately last night. Jane was quite articulate and mature--explaining how peeing herself, anger at me (both sad-anger because I was gone and also anger at anticipating getting in trouble), and baby talking and then being naughty were all connected. She can't say why these peeing and baby talking are connected to strong emotions about me, but she does know that they are. She can't say which comes first or how one leads to another but, again, she connects them as one.  Doesn't take a Freudian to observe that very young girls, neglected by their birth mother, would revert to baby like behaviors whe