Skip to main content

Next Week's Gonna Be a B****

I feel the need to record the hell that will be my life for the next seven days. I keep endlessly rolling through the calendar in my mind anyway so maybe it'll help me sleep if I just put it all here.

Fri - both boys are marching together at a football game for the one and only time in their lives. It's the 8th grade Invitational where all 8th grade band students march with the big high school band. Seth plays clarinet. Gus plays tuba (he's so tiny and it's so heavy, he has to wear modified football shoulder pads to hold it up!) I watched the practice last night and kept alternating between laughing and crying.

We're hired a babysitter for the little kids so Theo and I can both go and focus on the boys. I'm excited!

Sat - Seth takes the Classical Learning Test because he's interested in colleges that look at that in addition to his SAT scores

Sat - birthday party for child of Theo's co-workers. They each make more than he does. Our gift is gonna pale in comparison. Oh well.

Sun - Jane's 4th birthday party at a nearby park/splashpad. Old friends and bio family are invited as well as new friends and neighbors. I have no idea how it'll work but heck, it's a big park, people can spread out. I usually do a big deal for these young-enough-to-be-thrilled but not too-young-to-even-know-better ages. Big themes and food spreads and lots of people. Weeks of planning and a week of nonstop work.

Today I walked down the Most Highly Processed Kid Food aisle and dumped two of everything into the cart. I'm gonna call it a "snack food" party because she loves snacks. I mean, it's true she really does. But, a party of pudding cups and granola bars? I almost feel bad, but then I don't have the energy. She's getting the exact cake she asked for. At least I did that.

Mon at 6:30am - Theo leaves for a week in Maryland. For team building. To bond with his co-workers. I cannot even articulate how much I hate his company right now. The people he needs to "bond" with are not his co-workers.

Mon at 11:20am - the puppy goes back to the vet for her next shot. She had a severe allergic reaction to her last shots requiring a visit to the ag university's pet E.R. because she was literally dying in Gus's arms at 11:00 at night. I got lost on the way to the ER so drove the wrong way on a one-way street with Gus's panicked voice calling, "MOM! MOM!" beside me as she was stretched out in his lap gasping. That's an experience that stays with you. So now, she gets Benedryl before and after her vaccines and can only have them one at a time and needs to stay and be monitored after each one.

Mon at 3:00pm - Seth starts Quiz Bowl. Maybe team captain again this year?

Mon at 6:30pm - Gus has his first Cross Country meet. He thinks he'll be in the top 10 boys. All the super fast 8th graders from last year have moved on to high school. I hope so as he's worked hard to get to this place.

Mon at 6:30 - Seth has marching band practice

Tues - Preschool/Playgroup, that I'm leading at our church, meets from 9 to 11:30. Two and a half hours of teaching toddlers to like sharing. And to learn how to cut and glue and sing the ABCs.

Tues - 4:00 - Jane's first dance class. It's a special class for "movers with special disAbilities". She qualifies under her Fetal Alcohol Syndrome issues leading to poor coordination, balance, spatial awareness and slow reasoning/processing speed. (Note: I haven't yet bought her dance shoes, leotard, etc. Gotta fit that in.)

Tues - 4:30 - Seth gets home from his on-campus class. He's dual enrolled for one semester in high school and at the local university. 

Wed - Preschool/Playgroup 9-11:30

Wed - 7:00 - Gus's first Obedience class with his puppy. We're signed up for Competitive Obedience because it's the first step in her learning Agility maneuvers, which is what he wants to compete in. Fun fact: when I told Theo the name of the class he got confused and thought I was telling him the name of my Preschool/Playgroup. We both laughed so hard. I kinda like it. The kids final exam could be on the playground where we test if they ever learned to come, sit and stay on command!

Thur - Preschool/Playgroup 9-11:30

Thur - 3:15 - Jane has a well-child dr appt that will involve shots. I'll have to have all three little ones with me.

Thur - 4:30 - Seth gets home from class.

Thur - 5:30 - Gus's second Cross Country meet.

Fri night late - Theo comes home.

Murphy's Law: the week that we have four after-school firsts of the year is also the week he's gone. I hate his company. Deeply.

Update: today the painters from hell finally started to paint. Six weeks after they started; one, three, and five weeks after they promised to start painting according to the endless series of lies we've been told. In preparation they sealed one of our doors shut. Shutting off the exit of the people who live there--thanks for keeping our safety first, guys. Thanks a lot. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s

After a long separation

 I spent 5 weeks away from home for grad school. I knew it would be tough on the girls. Tried to put as many supports in place as possible.  They fared better than I'd expected. No major issues while I was gone. We've been home for five days now and Day 4 stuff finally came out.  Jane had been baby talking for several days. Then, Kate started it, too. Talked with each girl separately last night. Jane was quite articulate and mature--explaining how peeing herself, anger at me (both sad-anger because I was gone and also anger at anticipating getting in trouble), and baby talking and then being naughty were all connected. She can't say why these peeing and baby talking are connected to strong emotions about me, but she does know that they are. She can't say which comes first or how one leads to another but, again, she connects them as one.  Doesn't take a Freudian to observe that very young girls, neglected by their birth mother, would revert to baby like behaviors whe