Skip to main content

Managing Contact with Extended Family

We're deep in birthday season. June, July, August, September--one birthday after another in our family.

And with foster care, and semi-open adoption, comes the new challenge of navigating these major events with extended family.

For Kate's birthday back in March we chose a location near where most of them live and we invited a whole slew of people. So many people we didn't know well, just two days after the trial to terminate parental rights, that we honestly had code words and back-up plans for how to call the police and escape quickly if things go out of hand.

It was insane and not something I want to repeat. But, I did use that time to watch and gauge the girls' reactions to people. I let their faces and actions tell me who they really liked and who I should trust. I crossed a few people emphatically off our personal list and they haven't seen the girls since.

For Jane's birthday in September I have chosen a location closer to home and invited some, but not all. I would feel like a total curmudgeon if I kept people from seeing the girls on their birthdays. We didn't do anything with them last Christmas because we hadn't even met any of them yet but this Christmas I'm sure we'll also do some kind of gathering.

So, if at minimum, this group of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, see the girls on their birthdays and Christmas that's March, September, and December. Seems reasonable, right? Nicely spaced out; hitting the big events; sounds perfect.

I think I can comfortably commit to hosting something for about 10-15 people three times a year.

But, here's the thing--how do I tell them that that's all they get? How can I justify, explain, spell out, the fact that these people are a lot of work and I don't really value their input all that much. Sure, I'd like family medical history info. Sure, I'd like the girls to not feel lost and cut off at the times in their lives when having bio family connections will matter. That's exactly why I'm willing to put in this much effort now.

But this is all I've got. I can't give any more than these three events. Sorry, the actual mothering of the children is more important than showing you how I'm mothering these children.

I don't want input from people who did such a rotten job these children were taken into care by the state. I don't want to assuage the feelings of messed up people who will only ever have unhealthy, high-drama relationships their whole lives.

The key issue here is that I regularly send pictures, along with cute notes about what was going on, to Grandma and Aunt. And they have told others that they get these pictures. So then Grandpa and Ex-Step-Grandpa have started asking why they can't have pictures, too.

And I don't have a good answer for them. It's stupidly easy to click on their names when sharing pictures and sometimes I do. But I don't want to.

Because...? Because...? It's so hard to put into words. I guess it's just because I don't want to let them in. Or rather, I don't want them to start thinking they're in.

I don't want to open a door where next they'll be asking to attend more than just birthdays. I don't want to manage and haul around even five extra people at every event in the girls' lives. Because these people are So. Much. Work.

They can't use GPS; their car dies; they don't know how to act in public; they need a smoke; they lost their phone; they didn't have cash for the park entrance fee, etc. etc. etc.

In a perfect world I've have the energy for everyone. But I don't. I have five kids and a husband. Just getting dinner on the table most nights is all I really need to be focusing on. Again, the actual mothering of these children, plus three others, must take precedence over arranging playdates in a park with adults who can't stay married, keep kids safe, or even hold down minimum wage jobs.

Yes, I'm judgy. But I have good reason. I'm the one helping a little girl unravel the trauma inflicted upon her while in the care of some of these people (because it wasn't just the bio parents caring for them 24/7. Heck, bio dad was in jail for most of their lives.)

But I suppose I do owe them an explanation. Theo and I should try to have an honest conversation where we thoughtfully and kindly commit to what we will do, while honestly conveying what we won't do. We should be the mature grown-ups and model this. I think we will...eventually.

But maybe after the adoption is finalized? I kinda want the authority to say--this is our family's plan because this is what we believe is in the girls' best interests. Our decision is final.

I value the help they'll be to the girls eventually. I do not have the energy to manage their crises right now. Can't everyone just understand that?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s