Skip to main content

Everything's Better at the Beach

We had a last-minute opportunity to go back to the family cottage and take the girls' Grandma with us. We were there for two nights, three days.

It was lovely! Grandma was super easy going and helpful. I felt like I finally actually had a bit of a vacation while away with small children. There were several times she was at the beach with all three littles (plus one of the older boys for assistance) while I was up at the cottage calmly getting the next meal ready instead of frantically trying to simultaneously remove sand from three little bodies and get a meal on the table for a herd of hangry family members (including myself).

She meshed amazingly well with our older boys--even playing a board game! True, it's a pretty low-key one that's easy to join (Codenames) but still, she was super tired and yet voluntarily came over to join when invited. I really appreciated her effort at 10pm after a long day in the sun.

On our last morning Gus played his favorite prank on her. There's a heating grate in the ceiling of the main room that can be accessed from a bedroom on the second floor. Gus is the perfect size to go upstairs, remove the grate, and then hang upside down so just his head appears through the ceiling. It's the spookiest thing ever because he does it silently, just waiting there till someone walks by before casually saying, "hi".

She gave an awesome reaction--total shriek and full-body flail, then laughing good naturedly at his prank. I hugged her afterwards and whispered in her ear, "Welcome to the family! We only do that to our favorite people!"

On our last morning she kept the littles happy outside while the rest of us packed and then cleaned. This is always a hectic time and I deeply appreciated her cheerful assistance.

But, the very best moment of all happened on our first night there. She and I stayed up late and had a real heart-to-heart until 2:00 in the morning. We cleared the air and were able to laugh about some misunderstandings from the early days. It was healthy to finally say out loud, "Well, no, I didn't like...!" or, "Of course I knew you didn't believe me when I said...".

About 1:00am I decided that she really, truly understood we will never allow her son to have access to the girls. I sat in that courtroom and heard enough details that I will never believe he could be safe or trusted or even just any kind of a positive influence on them. She convinced me that she truly understands she can only have access to the girls if she keeps our identity and address from him, and does not notify him when we're going to be in a public space like a school event.

So, in a very emotional moment with both of us leaking tears and hugging a lot, I wrote down our last name and address. It felt like the scariest leap of trust I've ever had to do but also like the necessary next move in developing this relationship. We made her wait six months and spend part of every other weekend during that time getting to know us and letting us get to know her. It was time. I trust her as much as I'll ever be able to.

I also told her that we'll be changing both girls middle names, as well as changing the spelling of *Kate's first name (it'll sound the same, we're just standardizing the spelling from trashy to mainstream). Given that she's 2 1/2 she won't ever know the difference until we show her her original birth certificate someday.

*All names in this blog are pseudonyms.

Happily she likes the new middle names and agrees the changed spelling will be easier for Kate to spell. Phew! I was really worried about that conversation. And I learned that Kate's new middle name is even Grandma's mother's first name! She was especially pleased about that. 

So, as we drove home I thanked her profusely for her help and told her I was so happy because this trip was something I was super worried about and in fact it went better than I'd even imagined. Sometimes it isn't easy to vacation even with good friends but she was perfectly wonderful.

I think we were finally ready to accept and bond with each other as new family members. We joked that maybe we'll call each other Daughter-in-Law and Mother-in-Law (Theo's mother died before we were married and his step-mother actively discourages contact so it's a pretty low bar as far as I'm concerned.)

For my part, I know that the more I have realized how much she cared for the girls from their births, and was about the only loving relationship in their lives, the more my heart opens to her as a mom will love any other woman who loves her children.

On her part, she says she's finally accepted that the girls are better with us and she isn't angry about their removal anymore. She's grateful to just be grandma now and not kinda-mother to them every few days.

So, I am spending this moment feeling deeply grateful. We understand each other so much better now and both want this to work for the sake of the girls. It is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Visit Success!

Last weekend we did a family visit that was a return to how we'd first begun doing them. Theo and I drove the girls down and stayed and hung out with the family the whole time. The visit was just 1.5 hours long. Aunt made the lovely suggestion that good-byes would happen in the house and not at the car. She even coached grandma to do them quickly. So, we did a quick but sincere good-bye then left. No drama with grandma climbing over seats or Jane wailing from her car seat. And it all worked! Girls were cheerful and chatty on the way home! No nightmares for Jane that night! Kate was even okay--one day of extreme clinginess but then she returned to usual level of attachment-bonding cling! I'm so incredibly relieved! Because what would I have done if this hadn't worked?? I could not bear the thought of telling them we were stopping visits completely not least of all because I truly don't believe that would be the right path, long term. But now I don't have to f

Halloween Hell

 Tomorrow the kids will do a daytime Trunk or Treat event with Grandma. I suggested the outing about two months ago, chose the event, coordinated a meeting place with her, bought the kids costumes, prepped them for it, and now it's happening. I did it all. And I am dreading it with every fiber in my being. All this week my mood has been sliding downhill the closer it gets.  I hate meet ups with Grandma. There was a time when I hated them less, now I hate them with visceral dread. Why? Because I don't want Grandma to know where the girls are in school.  It was a huge mistake to tell her our home address and last name. A few weeks after we did that I got a phone call from a relative telling me about Grandma sneaking her son back into other grandchildren's lives. The relative warned me to "look in the back seat of her car" in case she was hiding him in there when she came to visit us. Needless to say, she was never invited to our house again.  So, what do I do? Yes,

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f