Skip to main content

My Layman's Neurological Diagnosis

We're still in the process of having testing done to figure out what is going on, neurologically, with Jane.

Meanwhile, there was another seizure-like incident that I got on video. I've shown it to a few friends and family members in the medical field and the suspicion is that she may actually be having catatonic episodes.

When most people hear "catatonic" they think frozen or in a coma but those are just some of the manifestations. It can also include body contortions and facial grimacing that look like a seizure. The key difference is that speaking to or touching someone in a seizure will not bring them out of it whereas it's possible to bring someone out of these kinds of catatonic episodes.

While catatonic episodes are associated with schizophrenia they can also be caused by past trauma. Given that the girls' mother has a history of mental health disorders and that we know they witnessed and experienced trauma, both causes are within the realm of possibility.

I have observed Jane having these neurological episodes twice now. Here's the context for each time.

First Observation - on vacation for a week at the family cottage
  • non-stop activity; exhausted kids each night
  • Jane had no concept of "vacation" and thought we'd moved to a new house
  • asking about toys, clothing, etc. that'd been left behind
  • Theo did not join us the first few days and she asked where he was
  • she has no concept of time (uses phrases like "a few minutes ago" and "last year" interchangeably in her speech with no idea of their meaning) and despite my explanations for when Theo would join us or when we'd return to our home she did not really comprehend that all this disruption was temporary and not a permanent shift in her home and family life.
Second Observation - at our house
  •  intense heat wave and we have no central air so I had the kids out doing stuff in A/C locations all day long; lots more activity than usual
  • Theo, Seth and Gus were all gone to summer programs
  • Jane wouldn't believe they were coming back despite my assurances and attempts to use a calendar to explain time to her
  • she'd just spent 4 hours in a bounce house becoming totally exhausted (I needed the kids to sleep well since I was on sole parenting duty for 3 days)
Similarities? Disruption in the family, break in routine, and extreme physical fatigue. Fatigue is one of the key triggers for a seizure/neurological episode. Anxiety about family and lack of routine are triggers for traumatic flashbacks, especially for a girl who was constantly moved between homes and people every few days for years of her life.

These two episodes were about five weeks apart.

The results of her one-hour EEG were normal. A few days ago she had her MRI and I'm waiting results. Those tests were already scheduled after the first event.

Now, after the second event and the similarities leading up to the events that possibly indicate catatonia rather than epilepsy, I want to have her seen by a neuropsychologist. I want to work with someone who can look at her whole body and life--both the physical structure of her brain and also the role that past trauma is playing in her life.

Incidentally, Kate has always done this thing where when she gets really mad she holds her breath till she passes out. I've seen her do it enough times, and I'm so careful that there is not one positive reinforcement that would promote this behavior for the purpose of attention-seeking, that I truly believe it is involuntary. She hates it and it scares her. She will really try to avoid it by following my coaching to take deep breaths if I can start that soon enough.

But now I see this in light of a neurological manifestation of an emotional state. Her body flips a switch and stops her breathing as the result of a strong emotion (usually fear--she does this almost solely when she's upset about me leaving).

These girls come with some powerful (and powerfully destructive) coping devices that are going to be very hard to unravel and reteach.

P.S. Bio family does not want to address Jane's episodes. Grandma has flat out said she cannot look at any videos nor does she want to hear about it. Aunt first says nope, they've never seen anything like this but then suddenly reveals that Jane has always had these moments where she'd stare blankly at nothing and drool profusely. OMG! How do you spend weeks telling me there's no history and then drop that little tidbit!?! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi