Skip to main content

Grief and then...Acceptance? Avoidance? Planning?

It's been awhile since I last posted. After I wrote the previous post where I grouped Jane's behaviors into weeks/months where we saw A and then weeks/months were we observed B, I went downstairs and started talking to Theo about this idea of A/B behaviors.

The words, "it's like she's switching personalities..." were coming out of my mouth when I just stopped...horrified, frozen, tearful.

Dear God.

Her mother is bi-polar.

Is it possible for a child to show traits of a mental illness this young? I know the medical community won't diagnose this young. What does this mean if it's already here?

That moment pretty much sunk me. I went into a depression stronger than anything I've ever experienced before. So much fear. So much grief. Then...all the irrational responses: anger, distancing myself from her, resenting her for all the dark and nasty impulses this fear awakened in me.

There were several days of doing nothing--frozen in the nonstop mental loop of horror. And telling all my worst fears to Theo.

Then several days of talking to friends, via phone call or in person, as well as the girls' therapist (I made an appt just for myself). And a 4-hour dinner with good friends of ours, who have experience in both the special education and mental health fields, so they could talk to Theo and let him hear the worst-case scenarios from someone other than me.

Then reading books (and napping from the fatigue of taking into my soul the reality of trauma coldly spelled out in black and white).

And now writing.

After some planning. I'm a planner. Charts and timelines and To Do lists are my friends. So, here's the new plan regarding adoption. We have asked to postpone the finalization by about 6 months. We used the possibilities of a seizure as our excuse. (Didn't mention mental illness because there's no point--the therapist confirmed that no doc will give a diagnosis this young.)

There's a conference call scheduled for next Monday with us and all the social workers and the girls' Guardian ad Litem to discuss this.  I'm a bit nervous. I know these bureaucrats only care about their paperwork and there's probably some penalty for not finalizing adoption cases. I'm afraid they'll threaten to remove the girls to a home that will adopt them immediately. I'm glad the GAL will be on the call. When I mentioned the seizures and hence the postponement he responded that of course that was completely reasonable and a good idea on our part.

What the bureaucrats don't know yet is that Theo and I have decided that this delay may be permanent for Jane. We may ask that she remain a foster child, a ward of the court until 18, while living in our home as our daughter. Because there are too many horror stories of people who adopt and then their insurance won't cover the mental health costs: meds, therapies, in-patient stays, residential treatment facilities. So those people have to choose between going bankrupt or living as hostages in their home with a crazy person.

Yes, I just said crazy. I'm still freaked out about all of this. Yes, I knew they'd come with issues but I never dreamed we'd see it this young. Because in my experience seeing it this young is a sign that she will develop the very worst forms of the illness.

Most of my years a special ed teacher were spent working with behavior-disordered elementary aged kids. I know what I'm talking about. Pediatric-onset mental illness absolutely destroys families.

I can calm the panic thrumming in my chest if I tell myself that the plan is to adopt Kate, but not Jane, yet tell both girls they are adopted and have them use our last name. I'd like Jane to never know she wasn't adopted at the same time as Kate. Ideally, sometime in her teen years we'll see that she's stabilized and we'll quietly finalize the paperwork before she ages out.

But there's an escape hatch if "ideally" doesn't happen. There's the option to place her in a state run residential treatment facility if she becomes too dangerous to keep in our home.

Meanwhile, hopefully the state would leave us alone if we adopt Kate and allow us to keep Jane here for the sake of keeping siblings together.

And hopefully we'll be able to avoid the horrific choice some families face where they must disrupt an adoption in order to get their child help.

If we had a perfect health care system in this country I wouldn't even be thinking this way. This is only about health care costs and draconian insurance companies.

Because I could be wrong. Completely absolutely seeing something that isn't even slightly there. She's 3 years old! It's crazy to say she's crazy, right?

Except her therapist confirmed that I wasn't crazy. She affirmed that she also had seen some things with the saddest face I've ever seen on a professional.

Which made me want to cry. This was the time I really, really wanted to be wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi