Skip to main content

Neurological Evaluation

So I wasn't crazy and something abnormal is really happening with Jane. She was screened by a neurologist at our local university's hospital today and after looking at some videos I'd recorded of what looked like seizure-behavior to me, he referred her for an EEG and an MRI.

Oooh, boy.

The one-hour EEG is this Friday. He said it takes about 48 hours to hear results of an EEG.

He did not see overt signs of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. He did want to do genetic testing to look for a chromosomal disorder. And he also ordered the MRI just to look at all kinds of things, including more mild forms of FAS that may not result in physical characteristics.

On one hand we want definitive results after all this testing, but on the other hand nobody is wishing anything upon her.

And...the foster care lens. I saw this so many times when working with parents as a special ed teacher. I could give biological parents or foster/adoptive parents the exact same news and the reactions would be completely different. Bio parents were devastated. Tears, comfort, long pauses, careful words. Foster/adoptive parents shrugged and said, yeah, we already suspected. What paperwork do you need me to sign?

If I'd been hearing the exact same news from this doc about one of my biological sons I'd be utterly devastated. I'd be so sad and frightened and upset that one of them had to have their brain tested for abnormalities. I'd have been crying, shaking and horrified. I'd have gone to my car and sobbed.

But I didn't have any of those reactions. I spoke calmly with the doctor, scheduled future appts with the receptionist on my way out, and took Jane out for donuts afterward. We were happy and chatty on the way home.

Because, let's be honest, I expected to get a broken child. I never expected to give birth to a broken child--that would've been devastating. But I knew what I was getting into when we signed up for foster care. It's almost a tiny bit of a relief to have the path we're on clearly laid out for us. Better to know for sure than to wonder what monster lurks in our future.

P.S. Sidenote: today she returned to writing the first letter of her name upside down (it's not a J, Jane is a pseudonym, as are all names in this blog). She's done that on and off for about six months now. I truly think I've observed a whole collection of behaviors that go together. I think there's A) which includes: stuttering, drooling, outgoing personality, hyperactivity, and correct (right side up) letter writing. And then there's B: non-stuttering or drooling, more reserved personality, more prone to anger or brattyness, bigger vocabulary, upside down letter writing.

She got really upset when I pointed out that the letter was upside down. That's what clued me in. She emphatically stated, "I can't do that!" and refused to even try. There was a stage where she was eager to write it again and again and again and wanted to be taught how to do it. Today it was like I asked her to do a perfect lay-up when she can't even dribble the ball. She was angry that I'd ask her to do this impossible task.

There's probably even more that I'm not yet aware of. Makes me want to develop some kind of charting system like I would've used to record data on one of my students. 

The doctor talked a lot about stress and anxiety leading to significant neurological phenomenon. He said some people can even appear to have strokes that impair their speech and movement after highly stressful times in their life. So, maybe just maybe, this cluster of symptoms is attributed to stress and as her life continues to stabilize and we continue with therapy, they can be resolved. Let's hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s