Skip to main content

Bedtime Experiment

The girls cry when I say 'bedtime'. It's automatic. Even for all possible synonyms and euphanisms.

Happy kids.  +  "Bedtime"  =  Wailing kids.

After months of trying a bazillion strategies I finally landed on a possible solution: removing sleep from the equation.

A few nights ago I was emotionally exhausted to the point where I knew that all of my children needed to go far, far away from me for everyone's health and well-being. But it was a half hour before bedtime. And the light outside was going to be full, glorious summer sunshine for another two hours.

So, I rushed through their bedtime routine but said, "And now you get to STAY AWAKE and play with toys and read books in your beds! Oh boy! What fun!"

They trotted off to their beds, smiley-faced, and I never heard from them again. It was so bright outside that I left their light off but their curtain open and that was enough light to play by so I guess as it got dark outside they just curled under their blankets and dozed off? Because that's how I found them around 10pm when I'd had a solid 4 hours without kids and felt ready to emerge from my cave.

Next night: same thing...same result! Hallelujah!

Third night: kids stayed up super late and had to be up early the next morning so I insisted on sleep. Stupid, stupid me. Wailing, resisting. They were up an extra hour beyond what they would've been if I'd just kept my mouth shut.

Fourth night: repeat of the super early bedtime but with the "you can stay up and play in your bed" message and off they went happy as can be.

I may have stumbled upon our summer salvation. Because I am loving having the evening hours with the older two, Seth and Gus. Gus and I have begun going on walks in the evening. Lots of good conversation. Seth and I are going out to log his driving hours before he gets his license. Again, lots of good conversation amid driving lessons. Theo is in the midst of a work project so he's working all hours of the day (the bane of the Work From Home employee is that they are constantly working when home.) But I feel that I can safely leave the house if the kids are tucked in for the night.

Putting all three littles to bed so that I can solely focus on each older boy feels like a luxury. And exactly what our family needs this summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s