Skip to main content

Toddler Moments: the Cute and Crazy (May)

I took Kate on a special 1:1 trip to the local ice cream parlor as a treat after we gardened together all day. It's situated so it's on a pier over a lake. Kate's eyes went wide and she was enthralled with every moment of it.
-Oh! Water!
-Oh! Fish!
-Oh! Boats!
-Oh! Ice weam!
But the best moment came when we were in the car driving back and she looked out the window and sadly said good-bye to everything.
-Bye wake (lake)
-Bye boats
-Bye ice weam


Earlier today she had another cute moment. I was gardening and I guess things weren't going too well because after awhile I heard her muttering, "Shoot! Darn it! Ohmygooodness!" as she stabbed at the dirt with a stick. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "Mama say bad words...I helper!"

She is obsessed with being right next to me all day long and announces, "I heppuh" (helper) all the time. She cries if I go upstairs and she can't follow fast enough. So I guess she thought that being my helper was saying all the bad words that I'd apparently been saying without noticing! It's a good thing that that's the extent of my bad words!


The kids are playing outside nonstop these days. I love that they love to be out--less mess in the house. But I'm now feeling obligated to give all three baths every night. They are sweaty-headed, muddy-toed, might've-peed-my-pants-a-little-cuz-I-was-too-busy-playing toddlers. I usually give baths once a week and then it's James by himself one night and Jane and Kate together on another night. Now, it's all three in for a quick dunk and scrub, then out one-by-one to brush teeth, put on pajamas and get shooed off to bed with a book while I tackle the next one. And then I seriously have to wipe out a nasty ring around the tub. Leaves, twigs, berries, flower petals, and so very much dirt...wow. Toddler triplets are no joke.


I just realized that Jane has stopped saying "her/them" when it's grammatically correct to say, "she/they". When she first arrived she only said things like, "Her is my sister." I did nothing for the first three months because it was clearly not important and I hoped she'd begin to mimic our speech patterns naturally as kids do. Then, for the next month I gently corrected her. Didn't make a big deal--just parroted back the correct phrase. She said, "her is my sister" and I said, "she is my sister" and the conversation went on. (I do this all do long correct James' and Kate's pronunciation anyway so it wasn't a big deal.) Jane still wasn't shifting her speech (and by this time I'd noticed that grandma and aunt say her/them exclusively). So, about three weeks ago I gently pointed out to Jane that sometimes we say "her" but other times we say "she" and I gave her a few examples. That was all it took. She is now using she/her and they/them correctly. She is incredibly observant and wants to please.


Every morning I go in to get the kids up, send them to use the potty, get dressed, etc. Lately I realized that after I say, "James, let's get you dressed." He will look around as if looking for something and say, "Where is my dress?" I know neither Seth nor Gus ever even knew the word 'dress' at that age! How different for James to be raised with sisters! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s