Skip to main content

Social Worker Rant II

The utterly inept 22-yr-old adoption caseworker hired in February, trained in March and independently on the job in May, just emailed that she'd accidentally given me the wrong fingerprinting forms when she was here.

We already did the fingerprinting! Theo left work early. I arranged childcare. It's a hassle as the fingerprinting place is not close. And we already got it done because I'm determined to hand her a completed packet at her next visit on June 3rd in order to get us through this ridiculous process as quickly as possible.

I responded that we will be discussing this at her next visit, which will be attended by her supervisor. (Subsequent to a lengthy email and phone call I had with her supervisor after her initial visit, all visits will now include her supervisor in a coaching capacity. She also must now submit an emailed update to both her supervisor and me every two weeks for review.)

Here's the thing. Paperwork is all she does. All social workers since we began this process do one thing: paperwork. They bring the forms. We complete the forms. They submit the forms. They are the transporters and facilitators of forms. That's it.

They do not help me. They do not answer my questions. They do not meet my children's needs.

So, if your one and only function is to give me forms you had damn well better give me the correct ones. It is, literally, the least you can do.

Update 6/3/19: Today we had our second visit with the colossally incompetent social worker, this time attended by her supervisor in a "coaching" capacity. We went through all the forms. Yep, at least 50% of them were the wrong version or we were instructed to have the wrong people fill them out or they had the wrong dates, etc. The supervisor was able to repair some of the damage but not all.

So, now I go back to people and ask them to yet again make copies of their driver's license and fill out the inane forms. Because it was so much fun the first time.

It was just the supervisor and I sitting there talking the whole time. She shuffled papers and checked boxes. Until her big moment when she got to ask me about my parenting and discipline strategies (the exact same questions I've been asked so many times I have a script now). I'm talking to a 22 yr old twit. I so desperately want to make up the craziest thing I can and watch her write it down. We tell them to blow bubbles in their mind! We all have imaginary pets we carry around and hug all day long! I tell them their toes are magical! She wouldn't have the sense to question it but I have to assume someone somewhere might actually read these response and question how magical toes figure into a discipline strategy. 

At the end I asked the supervisor to give me a ballpark idea of when this process will be completed. She guessed mid-late October. I am counting the days to be done with these people.

But, after she left, it hit me. They'll officially and forever be our daughters less than one year after we met them? They came on November 30, 2018, and it was the hardest December and Christmas and January of my life. Will next year be better?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s