Skip to main content

Why This but Not That?

I've been thinking about how I react to everything the three toddlers do. After years as a special ed teacher and 16 years of parenting I feel like I'm pretty relaxed most of the time. I would generally describe my parenting style as: pick your battles and, really, are there that many battles worth fighting?

But lately it seems like I'm having big reactions to some things that the three littles do. For example: they were all three playing in the front yard and Kate opened the gate and got out into the driveway, even though I'd made a big deal about only mama opening that gate. Walking outside and finding her outside the fence (the gate had swung shut behind her) was about the angriest I have been since the girls came. I went absolutely ballistic...to the extent that I won't even describe here what I did to teach her this was extremely dangerous behavior.

We live in the country but our house is near a road that people go flying down because it's so quiet. Nobody is looking for a little child on the road as they're going 50 mph. I know I was angry because I was scared. But still, wow, I had a huge reaction to her blatant misbehavior of opening that gate right after I'd told her not to. (By the way, there is now a locking mechanism they can't reach on the gate.)

In contrast, there was this event this morning. I'm buckling Kate into her carseat for church when I look down and see the hem of her dress is snipped in about 5 places. It is obvious she's gotten ahold of some scissors and cut her dress. I don't even react.

First, it was a hand-me-down dress she's about to grow out of. Also, I know there are only two pair of scissors sharp enough to do that and if she got them then an adult or teen left them out. Plus, I've never told her not to cut things with scissors and I'm learning these kids have had such little parenting that they're truly missing some innate right/wrong knowledge our boys had even as young as 2.

So, whereas I punished Kate for opening the gate; I showed the dress to everyone else in the family and told them I'd be extremely upset if the girls got ahold of scissors again and did something like cut each other's hair. I truly believe if any of the toddlers got scissors it'd be a failure on the part of one of us because they're normally stored out of reach.

But when I reflect I ask myself. Why do I think resisting scissors is beyond the capacity of toddlers whereas avoiding a gate is within their capacity? I really don't know why.

I do know that I'm most upset when the girls take me by surprise. When they do something dangerous that I hadn't expected them to do, I feel completely off kilter. My brain is whirling with:
  1. What's a normal parental reaction and consequence for this age, but then,
  2. What's the appropriate response and consequence for a child with a trauma background, and also,
  3. Because they're still kinda new to me, how do I decide if they should've known better and are being mischievous or really don't have a clue due to lack of prior parenting?
It's really hard to process all of that in the moment...especially when frightened and in the throes of visualizing all the terrible things that could've just happened that very moment.

Our big boys played outside every day for years and years and never once opened that gate. It was a boundary they never pushed, literally.

But scissors, like knives and cleaning chemicals and medicines, are just something you always store out of a child's reach. I wouldn't expect any kid to handle those items safely if they encountered them.

Obviously everybody comes to parenting with their own expectations for what they think children of each age should be able to do. I'm struggling with rewriting my expectations from what my two older boys taught me to what is reasonable for two young girls coming from a whole different background and with completely different personalities.

All three of my boys are just naturally cautious. No daredevils among them. I now have one, Kate, who is clearly going to be a risk-taker. I think this will turn out to be a strength and she's going to be a confident, dynamic, successful woman one day. But right now...I've got a two year old hell-bent on self-destruction, it seems like.

She has at this very moment both a black eye and a fat lip from two different events a day apart...just your normal running and climbing around the house. This is the girl who makes me feel like an older parent.|

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi