Skip to main content

The Good

I was thinking that I haven't focused on the positive in quite some time. I was so wrapped up in the stress and uncertainty surrounding the trial and then Kate's birthday party that I haven't been enjoying the girls, or anyone in the family for that matter.

So, here is an ode to all things wonderful about Jane and Kate.

Okay, they're adorable. Jane has huge blue eyes and porcelain skin in a heart shaped face. Her long dark brown hair is silky straight and shines in the sun. The ragged edges have grown out and I've learned how to manage the cowlicks so that each day I can do a cute hairdo. She's lost her too-hard, too-tight, trying-to-please smile and now grins a genuine smile full of joy. She's one of those people who looks even better in pictures than in real life. I wouldn't be surprised if with her looks and height somehow she finds her way into modeling at some point (though that isn't a path I'd push a daughter of mine into, if she wanted to do it I wouldn't stop her).

Kate is just as adorable but in all different ways. She is pure pudgy squeeziness. Everyone says, "I just want to smush those cheeks!" She has the same fair skin but her eyes are hazel and her hair is light brown and has a little curl to it. She has a button nose in a round face. And she is all character! That girl has more expressions and attitude than any 2 yr old I've ever met. She loves being funny and will announce, "Funny!" before she does something she thinks is entertaining (and it usually is). I usually do her hair in two pony tails above her ears that curl into natural ringlets. They bounce as she runs and it suits her personality perfectly.

They are genuinely kindhearted. They love each other and give hugs all day long. There is much distress and commiserating if someone gets hurt. They play amazingly well together given their ages. They even play well with James. I actually like having them all so close in age because their interests are identical and they entertain each other.

Both girls are thrilled when they get to be helpers. Setting the table, feeding the cats, picking up toys...I've never seen kids so excited to do a task. They soak up the praise (which I am lavish with) and practically glow with delight.

I've noticed that Kate already has the natural desire to straighten up. She closes doors and drawers and tucks in blankets. The thought that I could finally live with children who contribute to order instead of chaos is so deeply exciting I can barely stand it.

They are willing to try anything. I haven't encountered anything yet that they seemed frightened of. We go on car trips to the zoo or bowling alley or restaurants or parks and they're enthused about it all. And no car sickness! 

I also have to remind myself how nicely they've begun to fit into our family. In day to day life we're on the quiet, cerebral side. We each like to read and have our time alone.  Our idea of a party is a board game marathon. At first Jane was all frenetic energy. She couldn't sit still or stand a quiet room. It was a shock to our household. But I quickly learned that she simply craved guidance and filled the void because she felt the void so keenly. She wants to know "the rules" and soaks up methods of behavior. If I tell her something, e.g. when other people are talking we wait our turn to talk, then she will repeat that "rule" at least 20 times. And she'll remember it and attempt to teach it to someone else at a later point.

While I can see little signs of the effects of their past I realize that it's because I now know them well and I'm looking pretty hard. In general they are happy, loving, strong, healthy girls.

I had no idea that our first foster placement would be our last. I had no idea we'd get so lucky with these particular children who fit into our family so well.

It all could've been so much harder. We went to a foster care support group and I learned about the 1 yr old who screamed, "F*ck You!" every time they tried to change his diaper. It was the first moment when I realized we'd never heard any cuss words from the girls. (And I don't know how they didn't absorb it given what I've heard their family members say.)

Now that things are more stable I can feel myself relaxing and settling into enjoying these girls who are on the path to becoming my daughters. It's a sweet moment. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi