Skip to main content

Musings After First Solo Visit

On Saturday I took the girls to aunt's workplace at 2pm. She drove them to her house where they played for about 2 hours with family and friends, and then brought them back to meet me about halfway between our houses. Though the girls have been alone with family before this was the first time they traveled without us and the total visit was 4 hours instead of 2 due to the travel time.

So many little tidbits to mull over.
  • Before the visit I prepped Jane about lots of things but the thing she latched onto was that she was NOT going to sleep at aunt's house but would be coming back to her own bed here.  
  • I was surprisingly sad and anxious when her car pulled away. Would the girls even want to come back? How do divorced parents do this handing off of children? It feels awful to have so many conflicting emotions (have fun...but not too much fun) all at once.
  • I had nothing to say by way of good-bye. My throat closed up. Aunt was uncomfortable and rushing things. I still hold back from physical affection when I'm around them just due to an awkwardness I can't explain (am I a real enough mommy to kiss them and say I love you in front of others, yet?)
  • After the visit, at the pickup point, when I pulled up next to them Kate saw me through her car window and I could see her mouth saying, "There's mommy!" And she was so happy! My heart about burst. 
  • Jane came around the car and jumped into my arms for a big hug. I was so surprised and happy and relieved. 
  • Jane had grandma's phone and was watching a video. Though I thought we adults were doing the transition gradually enough I realized later she was tuned out from the good-byes happening around her and so all of a sudden the phone was taken from her and she was put in a carseat. She wasn't ready. She wailed and sobbed and held out her arms for grandma. It was excruciating. Next time I will be damn sure the phone is removed several minutes before we say good-bye so she has time to process and give physical hugs. (Grandma was trying to climb into my car and over car seats to get to Jane; it went from calm to insane in mere seconds; aunt had to pull grandma out of my car at my request. OMG!!)
  • Jane stopped crying two seconds after the car door shut and the cartoons in our car system started. The cartoons are powerful. They mask every emotion. But they are evil. We will never do a transition with kids on a screen again. 
  • I immediately drove to McDonald's and bought the girls' french fries. Because I could not cope with the idea of unhappy girls regretting a return to our home for the entire long drive home. So I soothed them with food and screens. And, just this once, I don't regret it one bit. 
  • Aunt accidentally kept Kate's coat so she called to tell us. Theo spoke with her. Aunt said Jane kept repeating to them that she was NOT going to sleep there but would be coming back to our house. It was something Jane was clearly worried about.
Now, the first big thing I'm still mulling over.

During the hand off aunt made a joke about ways Jane was jealous of Kate. For example, Jane said she didn't want to be a big sister anymore and could they just leave Kate in the car? Ha ha ha. Also, Jane said she hadn't eaten that day because Kate took all her food. Ha ha ha

 But on the drive home I began to think about this food lie Jane told.
    • The lie was a typical thing a 3 yr old would say and more of a whopping tale than a lie.
    • But in our situation the girls' reports about their treatment are powerful. What if it wasn't so much of an obvious whopper next time?  
When we got home the girls went straight to the tub (they all smoke and the girls reeked) and then had a snack and went to bed. They were exhausted after 4 hrs of nonstop big emotions.

Jane thought she was going to get a cartoon after the bath as we usually do---their 30 min of screen time each day happens as part of bedtime. I took her on my lap and gently explained that she'd told a lie and it was important she always tell the truth about what happens in everyone's home and that as a consequence she wouldn't get her bedtime cartoons.

She became hysterical. Again. It was as bad as the scene saying good-bye to grandma. I thought she was going to injure herself by flailing around in a complete tantrum. She would've never reacted this strongly to losing screen time normally.

I stayed with her long enough to be sure she was safe but then firmly tucked her into bed and left. She screamed for about 10 minutes but then suddenly stopped. She was asleep--totally worn out.

I feel bad that concepts such as truth and lies can't be learned in the usual way that all children do; that she isn't allowed the freedom to tell whopping stories like other 3 yr olds. But until those adoption papers are signed anything she says can trigger a CPS report on us. The stakes are just too high. 

And now the other big thing I'm mulling over.

About 3am that night she came into our room, crying. This is BIG. She has never come in on her own. It's a weird thing where the other kids wake us up as needed but she never has. In fact, her worst nighttime catastrophes are always made worse because she won't ask for help when she should. So, suddenly, there she was standing beside the bed crying.

Now, it's against the rules for foster parents to take foster children into their bed (and for good reason) so I won't say she spent the night in our bed but I will say she spent the night in our room. Frequently reaching out to touch me.

That was last night. Tonight at bedtime she was going along fine when suddenly she got very stiff and frightened and said she was scared of the dark. I got Kate in bed first and then took Jane downstairs so we could talk. She cuddled into my lap and started talking. Lots of stuff came out but essentially she's just plain scared about returning to her old life where she was shuffled endlessly among houses.

She tells stories of good memories--her mother packing up a sleeping bag with her stuffed toy for her to take to Papa's house--but what I've realized now is that she almost doesn't know the difference between a good and bad memory. Her people were/are so volatile that good moments can turn bad on a dime. And, horrible memories like her parents physically fighting are mixed up with the wonderful feeling of grandma arriving to rescue her.

So, her smiling and talking about the stuffed toy and sleeping bag is really her being incredibly anxious and asking if her old lifestyle is about to start up again. I reassured her, many times and in many ways, that it is not.

Then we did bedtime prayers where we named all the things we're scared of, and all our favorite things, and I talked to her about praying for our scary things and then letting them go and focusing on our favorite things. Also, I put back on her old, very bright, nightlight that hadn't been used in months when I tucked her in. I gave her a beautifully illustrated book of images of God to look at before I left the room. She was calm and leafing through it as I shut the door.

I don't know if she'll sleep through the night tonight. If she needs me that's fine. I'm reminded that I had to stay in their room for up to an hour every night until Jane fell asleep for weeks and weeks after they first came to us. (Update: it's now five nights later and she's had nightmares every night. Last night it was down to five minutes of me in there rubbing her back. But two nights ago I was up all night with her as she'd go back into a nightmare every time she fell asleep. I'm seriously reconsidering whether the girls are ready for that kind of a visit yet.)

Kate, meanwhile, shows absolutely no ill effects whatsoever. I think she has completely bonded to us and feels only an average level of connection to her bio family.

And my anxiety level is back down to nil. I have acknowledged that I feel terribly worried and upset in the days before their visit but immediately afterwards my sense of humor comes back and I can cope again. This is taking a toll on all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi