Skip to main content

Co-Parenting with Non-Parents

I invited grandma to join us at church on Easter Sunday. She had given me a beautiful Easter dress for Kate to wear and Theo and I are committed to including birth family in special moments as often as possible. It seemed like a sweet idea to let her be there when people oohed and ahhed over the girls in their Easter finest.

(This first part is an aside but so bizarre I have to include it in the full story. Grandma was about 20 minutes late. The congregation was seated and the service well underway when I noticed heads around me turning to stare. I looked too and spotted what appeared to be a very angry, slightly demented lady pacing up and down every single aisle staring at people. Oh. My. God. It's grandma. She's looking for me. I never dreamed she'd do such a thing. The church held about 300 people and had 4 aisles--she went all the way to the front of each one searching. I was seated in the last section she approached.

It took all my courage and integrity to weakly wave my hand and get her attention so she could find me. I was humiliated. I've only been attending about a year. This is an upper class congregation of professional people. Now I was connecting myself to the crazy lady who clearly has no idea how to behave in a public setting.

Once she saw me and sat down she started to, loudly, tell me about how her GPS took her to the wrong place first. I had to forcibly shush her. People were staring! It was a moment to force myself to hold my head high and make a conscious decision not to be upset.

Subtext: grandma is frustrated that I haven't given her my cell number. She only has an email address, which she regularly blows up at odd hours of the night in what I'm pretty sure are drunken rants because it reads like voice-to-text from very slurred speech--so, no, she does not yet have my cell number. I hope one day she'll understand who we are and how we operate and what our boundaries are, but it's too soon for her to have these kinds of conversations with us and accept our limits so we have to provide them for her by limiting her access to us.)

But, after that disastrous start things got much better. Grandma was nice and joyful. She loved seeing the girls all dressed up. I introduced her to the pastor and other important people who complimented her on her beautiful granddaughters. She participated in the Easter egg hunt and then shared snacks with us. We took pictures. I'm genuinely glad she was there. It was (pretty much) the kind of event I hope we can always have.

But two little things also happened that clarify for me what it's going to be like to "share" these girls with her.

First, after Jane's rudeness at our last visit I'd told her that if she ever behaved that way again the visit would end immediately and she'd go home. Well, as soon as I walked away from Jane and grandma to get juice, Jane obviously told her that. Grandma confronted me about it when I returned. I looked Jane in the eye and confirmed everything. I will not allow a 3 yr old to elicit support from grandma in my parenting decisions. And she needed to see that clearly and immediately. Jane looked abashed by my bold statements to grandma's face and it's a good thing, too.

Lesson: Jane is, and probably will be for a a very long time to come, testing relationships and looking to see who overrules whom. Can grandma make me back down? Who is the final authority? Well, it's me, baby girl, and it will always be me as long as you're under my roof.

Second, grandma asked me how the girls are eating and sleeping. She's asked these questions several times now. I think she's just trying to think of parenty-type topics and she doesn't have a real grasp on how to have those kinds of conversations. I blandly confirmed that yes, they're good sleepers and eaters without much detail and then introduced something specific to discuss. Grandma made a comment about this being an improvement because they used to be picky eaters. (I cannot picture two girls who'd happily out-eat me at every meal and have dug enthusiastically into every food I've ever given them being picky, but, okay, whatever.)

Fast forward to the very next meal back home and Jane says she "doesn't like" a food I give her that I know she's happily eaten dozens of times. The power of suggestion. Grandma says she's picky and now she is. Thanks, grandma.

Again, I shut this down immediately. Without making a big deal I let her know she won't be leaving the table until she eats her food. I'm not picking a fight but I'm also not allowing grandma's influence to effect what happens at my dining room table. Jane dallies about 10 extra minutes but in the end does eat the food.

Lesson: I will be unwinding whatever grandma starts up after every visit. It seriously makes me want to cut her off and never allow her to see the girls again. My life would be SO much easier if we did that.

But for right now I know we need to dig in and keep going. I hope that we can bring grandma around. I hope she can see how we parent and join us. I hope she'll be an ally in raising these girls. I hope these are just the hard, initial days but after we do the work we'll eventually arrive in a good place.

I hope.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi