Skip to main content

What is Love?

During our six-month check-in with our licensing worker, he asked some of the same questions he'd asked at our initial visit and then chuckled at our responses. He said we did the same thing everyone does. When asked, "what do kids need most?" everyone says "love" at first. Six months into fostering, when asked the same questions, everyone says, "routines and boundaries". We chuckled along with him but shared that husband-wife look over his head.

Why? Because they're the same thing. Routines, boundaries, discipline, rules, consequences, correction, explanation---it's all love.

Our society is familiar with the harm that comes when a child is physically neglected. It's easy to see the kid that appears dirty, hungry, hurt, etc.

But equally harmful is the parent who neglects to instruct and correct their child in how to be a functioning member of society and a generally nice person. Who fails to discipline.

(Ugh, I hate that discipline is such a loaded word. For some it automatically denotes physical abuse and hyper-controlling parents angrily thumping a Bible.)

So, I'll define it to avoid being misunderstood. When I say discipline I think of the teaching of practices by modeling, instructing, and correcting. I think: moderating the base human impulses everyone must learn to control.

I think: a kid who isn't a brat.

So, yes, we teach our kids to say please and thank you and wait their turn and eat with their mouth closed.
We name envy and selfishness when we see it and we teach them why indulging in these impulses is harmful. 
We seek to have routines around eating and sleeping (let's be honest, seek is as good as it's going to get with 5 kids from toddler to high school--I didn't say we are perfectly disciplined; I said we teach disciplined practices) because we want them to see that we know healthy habits are valuable. 
We require them to do things they don't want to do (eat that icky food, stop nagging their sibling, obey us right now instead of eventually) because it is good to subjugate ones personal will for the greater good.

Etc.
These, and many others, are skills for living that all productive members of society and generally nice people need. And neglecting to teach them is just as bad as failing to feed or clothe your child.

Discipline = love. If you truly love you will discipline.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s