Skip to main content

O Happy Day

Today was a good day for no discernible reason. But let us celebrate every good thing.

The sun was out. About 11am I asked the three littles if they wanted to go outside and they cheered. I scrambled them through potty breaks and then into snowpants, boots, mittens, coats, and hats in record time. They piled outside and then explored the whole front yard, bending thick at the waist to pick up sticks and pluck dried stalks of grass like astronauts just landed on the moon. It was 34 degrees but it felt balmy and lovely.

They came inside sweaty-headed and red-cheeked. Oohed over hot chocolate with marshmallows. Guzzled down a thick bean soup without complaint and then collapsed about the house with bulging bellies like old men who've explored and foraged to their fill.

I put on a cartoon and didn't care that I was starting screen time 6 hrs too early. We were all still in our pajamas, after all. I'd been down with the flu for the past two days and figured they were all about to get sick anytime. Bring on a day in pj's...it'll save some laundry.

They were so darn cute at every turn. I set Jane and Kate on the couch, gathered some toys, and said we were going to play a game. I called it the "Use My Words" game in a highly original turn of phrase. Then we role-played saying plain, explicit statements like, "Can I have the cow?" before handing each other the cow. They will do absolutely anything for attention, including playing the most non-fun game ever. Huge grins, no whining, full appropriate sentences out of Jane and adorable, "Cow! Peez!" out of Kate.

The best thing about Jane is that she really is a blank slate and a willing learner. She truly does absorb every lesson and then follow through. Later today, when faced with a moment when she would've whined and pouted silently she chose instead to say what she needed and, when it was given to her, exclaim with a happy smile, "I used my words! And it worked!"

Sometimes I get so bogged down in what isn't working that I forget to simply teach them the behaviors I want to see.

We have a family visit tomorrow. In preparation the girls got baths one night early and then I did their nails. The nail polish was given to Jane by her grandma at the last visit. I wanted to show grandma that we appreciate her and her gifts so I put it on both girls.

Pure, unfettered joy from Jane! That girl loves what she loves with a purity of heart that is deeply endearing. Her nails had been painted when she came. She said her mom did it just before they were taken away. I imagine it was the last thing they did together before the big event that caused the girls to be taken. She associated nail polish with so many things--her mom, the big event, love, loss. I didn't want to jump into all that with a new experience too soon.

I'd told her that if she quit chewing her nails then we'd paint them. She finally let them grow out, to my surprise--such a difficult habit to break. I was so proud of her and told her so many times while we painted them! I hope that now she associates nail polish with accomplishment, pride, love and attention.

Since coming here she's almost completely quit stuttering (shows up in about 2-3% of speech and only when referring to bio family or her past). She's quit twisting and breaking her hair. They tell me she had such knots they'd have to cut them out and that she had bald spots from breakage. I've never once seen her twist her hair. And she'd bite her nails until they were constantly red and bleeding. That continued for several months and only quit in the last few weeks.

Calm, happy days like this Theo and I remind each other of their growth. Jane has stabilized, emotionally, in so many ways.

And Kate is bonding with a fervor that is almost daunting. Theo picked her up today and she wrapped both her pudgy little arms around his neck and buried her face against his chest. Her whole body went as limp as a newborn as she settled into his arms. This is what she does every time now. It's a whole body experience that she seeks at least 10 times a day from us.

She did not allow herself to be hugged or even held on our laps for the first month after she came. She never seemed distressed, just too busy to bother. I truly thought that was her personality. This new affection is taking me by surprise. And making me sad for the lonely little girl who craved affection but couldn't accept it for so long.

When I tried to keep the kids at bay for the past two days to spare them my germs she had none of it! Wild temper tantrums would ensue if she was kept away from me. I tried to hide out in my room but the determined little thing figured out how to open my door and snuck away from whomever was watching her to check on me at least once an hour. She just needed to come in, chirp, "Hi, mommy!" climb on the bed for a few seconds, and then she was content to climb down and toddle on her way.

It was a good day. Spring-is-coming-sunlight, marshmallows, games, bubbly bathtime, and squeals of delight over sparkly nail polish. They have come such a long way. It's getting easier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s