Skip to main content

Birthday Party

Today was Kate's 2nd birthday party. We'd planned it long ago to be a chance for family who hadn't seen the girls in awhile to see them and also to meet us.

During the trial some family members were there and tempers were running high. I began to regret getting them all together just two days later and considered cancelling the whole thing.

On the drive there we strategized and had back-up plans including calling the police. Never in my life have I had to think this way. We left Gus and James at home just so they wouldn't have to witness anything...and Theo and I wouldn't have to think about getting them out of there quickly if it came to that. Only Seth came to take pictures.

In the end everything was fine. The angry members did not come--proving yet again that they live for their own drama and self-absorption and cannot consider what the children may want or need. 

We had maternal grandma (Laura) and her ex-boyfriend (Ken) there. Ken has been one of the most kind and stable people in the girls' lives. He regularly took them to his house every weekend, along with their cousins, and gave them a safe place to be. I'm grateful to him for the girls' sakes. But equally baffled by the family dynamics. I can't imagine, as a mother, regularly handing over my two young girls for an entire weekend to an older man who was no relation and yet maintained an unexplained interest in them. And yet no one seemed to even question it.

We also had paternal grandma and aunt and her kids there. I've become close to aunt and trust her. She was a huge help throughout the party--doing the decorations and cake, etc.

Paternal grandma is always highly emotional. She's either ecstatically happy or crying crocodile tears. We've learned that she says she's going to contest our adoption and try to get the girls herself. So, imagine my surprise to overhear her talking to maternal grandma about how great we are, naming specific details of events we've done with the girls. She simply could not resist being the important person in the room who knew all about us and how we treat the girls.

The girls did great. They were polite and cheerful. Thinking back to Christmas when opening gifts was a mad grab that quickly devolved into meltdowns, I realized how far the girls have come. Even Ken commented on how much more emotionally stable they seemed. He said, "They're so calm...and...well, balanced, I guess is the way to say it."

And the sweetest moments that I've been waiting for finally happened. At different moments each girl turned to me, called me Mama, and wanted me to hold them or help them.

It was almost magical to have that feeling when I sensed they wanted me and I turned to see their lifted faces scanning the crowd and looking for me. Then, our eyes connected and they called, "Mama?" with the full expectation that I would come. It was an everyday moment we experience a hundred times each day at home...but to feel that connection while amongst all these people who've been their caretakers during their lives felt like our family was coming together.

Kate was adorable today. She kept saying, "Happy day me?" And holding up three fingers while saying, "I two!" 

I am relieved. We had a lovely day for the girls and took lots of pictures of them with important people from their lives. It honestly couldn't have gone any better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s