Skip to main content

Return Day 3

I feel the need to document how the girls acted after our return because I feel their behavior is indicative of so many important things: how they cope with and recover from the stress of change, how they manage grief, and how bonded to us they truly are.

First, I've noticed that Jane becomes constipated any time she experiences interpersonal, relational stress. She would withhold bowel movements after every family visit, for example. So, it was no surprise to me that she quit having BMs about three days before we left on our trip when I first showed her the calendar I'd made showing when we'd leave and when we'd return. And, my mom reported that she had to resort to feeding prunes to help Jane go while we were gone.

The first day we got back Jane was happy to see us with pretty typical 3-yr-old behaviors. Then, the second day she sought me out and began talking. We'd already done a script about care-giving with meals used to convey love and care the day before. Now, on the second day, it became more nuanced. She talked about her feelings. She said words like, "sad", "happy", "missed you", "every day" to convey how she felt during the whole time. I used the same words to convey that I didn't want to leave her and felt bad that she was sad when I was gone. At the end she also focused on our return and that I leave each weekday for work but then I always come back.

We talked for a solid 15 minutes, going back and repeating things often to add more detail. It seemed important to her that a) we each equally missed each other and that, b) our absence was not a casual thing to be ignored, and c) an absence like this was out of routine and wouldn't be soon repeated.

Our conversation ended and then a few moments later Jane said, sounding surprised, "I have to poop!" And sure enough she did...a huge amount.

I am reminded that, while in Western culture the emotions are seated in the heart, in other cultures they are seated in the belly.

Second, today I had to take Kate to the emergency room. There's a huge snafu surrounding her Medicaid card, our regular doctor, urgent care sites, etc. So, when she had such a nasty cough and raspy breathing last night that she couldn't sleep I took her to the hospital this morning.

Standing in line to check in a man behind us tried to talk to her. For the very first time, EVER, she raised her arms to me, said, "mama, hold me!" and then, when I picked her up she buried her face in my neck and hid from the man. It was amazing! I've never seen her afraid of strangers before.

This continued all day. Every time anyone came close she demanded to be held and tried to hide in my arms. While I had to let medical personnel do their thing I made sure to always stay in physical contact with her and to swoop her back into my arms the moment they were done.

Inbetween medical stuff I rocked her and sang to her and did finger plays and generally played with her nonstop for about 4 hours. And she was so happy! Looking into my eyes and appearing relaxed and happy and just being herself. It felt like a genuine mom-and-baby interaction for a sustained period, not just for a moment here and there.

I'm not glad we spent our day in the ER (no RSV or pneumonia, just a virus, which I suspected because she had no fever and seemed happy despite the congestion and cough, but when you've only known a 23 month old for a few months and have no idea how well they recover from illness, it seemed wise to be on the safe side--but, again, a foster care factor I just didn't know about before, that I'd feel so overly cautious that I'd take them to the ER for things I wouldn't even take my bio kids to the doctor for) but I am so glad for the opportunity to see such a shift in her behavior.

Maybe, just maybe, the girls really are going to be able to bond healthily with us. Maybe they see us as safe, trustworthy people who will love and care for them. Given their past, it seems a lot to ask but moments like these give me hope!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s