Skip to main content

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog.

I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks.

So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything.

I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.)

We live in the middle of the middle, about as Midwest as you can get. I'm a teacher; Theo works for a pharmaceutical company. Together we make a little over six figures but where we live that's not enough to take fancy vacations or to even shop at Whole Foods. (Okay, maybe we don't shop at Whole Foods because I grew up on a farm and I'm telling you, $6 milk is for suckers. Seriously, there is no discernible difference between the lives of the cows producing $1.50 milk vs. those producing $6 milk. Now when it comes to meat and eggs, yep, lifestyle matters so please do find a farmer's market to purchase those, but I simply can't give my money to a store that prices items based on buzzwords, not content.)

Our kids go to public school. We're too lazy, and our kids are thankfully too untalented, to do the crazy sports thing. The older boys each play an instrument in band at school and that's about all the extracurricular in our lives. Oh, I did just sign the 3 yr olds up for a toddler dance class. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

We have goats and chickens. I sometimes have a garden. We have a trampoline and a tree house. We just bought some land and my husband is carving out walking trails through the underbrush. There, that takes care of the out-of-doors, as my grandma used to call it.

I think that concludes the introduction. Now to begin.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s