Skip to main content

Transition? I'll Just Pee My Pants

 Both girls have resumed peeing their pants this week. Kate has done it 1-2 times a day for the last few days (except not when gone all day to church with dad and the sibs while I stayed home, reinforcing that all children save their worst for the mother, thanks so much darling). Jane did it today. Jane peed her pants while sitting in our dining room 10 feet from a bathroom. Why? Because she didn't want to stop eating. 

Pretty sure she's lying. Pretty sure she actually did it while outside playing because she didn't want to come in and she only noticed it when she came in to eat. 

Pretty sure it doesn't matter when she did it. The point is that this girl, about to turn 6 in three months still doesn't have control of her body and/or acts out with poop and pee and/or copes with all strong emotions by losing awareness of her body and/or _____ fill in the blank with any theory possible but who the hell knows why she does it. 

The one obvious thing is that they experienced transition. We ended the school year. On the therapists advice I didn't make a big deal out of it. But I was also surprised that neither girl expressed any sadness whatsoever. These are the girls who can cry over the tiniest thing all day long. Yet neither even acknowledged school was ending in any way whatsoever. 

On the last day when I asked Jane if she'd said good-bye to any friend in particular she got very quiet and then said no, because she didn't have any friends. I don't know what to think. It's possible. She is weird and whiny and eventually even 5 yr olds get tired of the least mature kid in the room. I also hate her teacher just that bit more. Seriously, a Kindergarten teacher can't teach kids how to be nice? Can't find some tiny way for each kid to feel successful and important even just once a day? Can't be bothered to teach an awkward kid any social skills? Really, lady, churning out the endless worksheets was more important than any of that? Our schools are so messed up. 

Or maybe Jane didn't say good-bye to anyone because she doesn't know how to do good-byes. Because any loss is too much loss and every loss is too fraught to cope with. So I'll just pretend it never happened and go pee my pants instead. 

Kate, at least, is talking about the next thing. She keeps saying, "we do school at home now!" And I cannot explain the concept of summer to her because she still doesn't fully grasp weeks and months and...gah. I suppose I need to do some kind of big visual calendar for them but right now, at the tail end of 10 months of schooling, any teaching tool of any type is just a bit beyond me. 

All I know is that I am dead tired of girls peeing their pants because it is a reminder that there will always be something. There will always be a past behavior or a new behavior but somehow, for some reason, there will be a behavior. I hope when they're adults the behaviors are manageable. But for right now we are down and dirty in the middle of yucky annoying behaviors.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Inaugural Post

I think I need to write a blog. I keep searching for good blogs about foster care and none are exactly what I'm looking for. I need to read the work of deeply thinking people who are wrestling with the realities of opening their homes to strangers. But please be funny, too. And, mostly, I need to hear from people whose agenda does not include evangelizing--neither the Christian faith nor the lesbian lifestyle. I respect you both, but I'd rather just hear about the kids, thanks. So, here's the background info I'm always curious about when people provide a peek into their homes. Because context is everything. I'm Beth*. My husband, Theo, and I have been married for 17 years. We have three sons: Seth (16), Gus (12), and James (3). On November 30, 2018, we had two foster girls, Jane (3) and Kate (1) placed in our home. This is our first foster care placement. We are open to both fostering and adoption. (*All names are pseudonyms.) We live in the middle of the mi

Getting There

Today was better. Kids felt calmer. I think being at the cottage with Grandma for 3 days really disturbed Jane's equilibrium...but I also think that she has resettled quicker than she once would've been able to. One small, but HUGE thing happened this morning. Jane rode all the way to church and back, 20 min drive each way, without any singing. I know I sound like a curmudgeon but I have to clarify that it isn't really singing. It's toneless, mindless, repetitious droning of the same few syllables for miles and miles and miles. Even the therapist said it'd drive her batty when I demonstrated it for her once. I'm guessing that Jane rode in cars where the radio was blasting all the time. I'm guessing that no one ever spoke with her as she rode. I'm guessing that, in her need to orally process every single thing, and witnessing that she talks to herself endlessly while playing, the lull of the moving car reduced her to one sing-song phrase as she tried