Skip to main content

Well Played...

This week starts with losing an hour to the time change, has a full moon in it, and ends with Friday the 13th. It's also the week my three littles start "real" preschool for the very first time in their life. Not one of them has spent a minute in a school setting before but they'll need to be full time by Friday. Hah!

P.S. I got a job. I resigned from teaching a year ago to be home with the girls and now it's time to go back. I found an online teaching job that, let's be honest, isn't real education in the truest sense, but it does give me the flexibility in scheduling that our family needs. So, the littles go to real preschool now, not my little homeschool version. On the week with a time change and a full moon. Oh lordy.

Because I know how hard it is to add a new kid to the class, let alone THREE at once, I have already prepared gifts for the classroom teacher and the secretary and we are planning to make a nice, fat donation to the school. At one time in my life I wouldn't have thought this necessary. Now I deeply understand how crucial it is to show gratitude to the professionals who will be taking care of your children.

Here's what else I've done in three days, after we got the confirmation that there was space for all 3 on Thursday night.
  • bought uniforms online
  • comparison shopped and bought non-logo uniform pieces at other sites
  • sorted through all their clothing they already have to find items in solid navy that they can wear until the uniform pieces arrive by mail (to show respect and gratitude for our late admittance)
  • purchased three backpacks and three Bento boxes, in coordinating colors for each child
  • found three baby quilts in the house and assigned one to each kid as a nap blanket
  • packed a tub with an extra change of clothing and extra snacks for accidents and emergencies
  • labeled all of the above with each kid's name
  • shopped at the Farmer's Market to find handmade gifts for the teacher and secretary
  • packaged the gifts in nice gift bags with Thank You notes "signed" by the kids inside
  • gotten all 3 kids haircuts (this was already planned for Fri, thankfully)
  • given baths, trimmed fingernails (30 nails, you know, and usually a few toenails, too)
  • shopped for foods that can easily go into their cold lunches
  • shopped for foods that Gus can use to start making the family dinner as that's now his chore
  • purchased three storybooks so each kid can "gift" a book to the class on their first day
  • made a clipart-laden chart the littles can read showing their new daily routine 
  • made a countdown calendar so they can see what's happening each day as they phase in to preschool during this week, then start full time next Monday.
  • written a three page letter to the teacher describing each child's learning and emotional needs as well as strategies we use when things go bad
  • met with the teacher to discuss all my last questions (yes, nuts allowed in lunches, no, nuts not allowed for snacktime in the classroom; there's a $7 per child per day fee for late pick-up)
  • got the whole family to the Catholic church associated with this school for 11:00 mass this morning so the priest could meet our whole family and we could thank him for admitting our three littles
I think that's it. And here's the thing--it didn't even seem like I was all that busy till I sat down to make this list. None of this seems like an extraordinary thing to do.

But also, it helps me have a bit of respect for why the job of SAHM is tiring. There's a lot of work that goes into moving your family through the transitions of life. And, in my middle age I finally believe this work is important. When I was young I would've scoffed at a mom doing so much to make it easy on the adults who'd take care of her kids because, let's be honest, I was actually still a child myself who believed that adults just took care of things because that's what adults did. Like it wasn't any extra effort for them to pick up the slack for me--they had special talents because they were so old and adulty.

 Nope. Nobody really wants to pick up anyone else's slack. Adults would prefer everyone else adult along with them. So there's me packing a change of clothes and labeling lunch boxes because when my child pees her pants or can't find his lunchbox I know that the adult helping will have a moment of gratitude that I already provided the change of pants and a clearly labeled lunchbox.

And that's how the world goes round.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s