Skip to main content

First Day of Preschool

This week I'm slowing phasing in the three littles to a real preschool (vs. the little homeschool preschool I've been doing). Today we visited for an hour, with me staying with the kids.

When we arrived we brought a gift to the secretary and each kid had a gift book in their backpack to present to the classroom. That went well. My kids love to give gifts and it made a smooth transition into the room.

Then it was time to join centers. James had cried all the way from the car into the school, saying "preschool was scary" so he was hiding behind my legs at first. Then the teacher lured him off in hunt of animals and they found a tub of figurines. He happily sat on a rug lining up each animal after first showing it to me and asking me to name it. I sat in a chair a little ways away and tried not to only focus on him so he wouldn't expect nonstop mommy attention but felt safe all the same.

Jane was gone. I looked up and she was fully immersed with kids at a center. I don't think she even glanced my way for the whole hour. She's been saying she's bored at home and she was thrilled when I said they'd be going to school. For the past three days she's been dancing and singing about new friends. I'm glad that now she'll be getting the social interaction she's been craving. And I'm glad that she can so easily transition into new social settings. But...I'm also aware that this is a sign that she's isn't fully attached and is completely unbothered by leaving us and going with new people. It's a bit sad because I just don't know if she'll ever really, fully attach.

Kate was a mix of James and Jane. She's a social butterfly who trotted off to play with kids right away, but then she also swooped back to touch base with me every 10 minutes or so. She's the picture of healthy attachment--confident but wanting connection, also. Just now as I'm typing this she came and climbed onto my lap and put her arms around me and said, "You are always my mommy". She loves to say this, especially because I repeat it back to her.

So, pretty much what I expected. James struggling with transitions. Jane off and running, not looking back. Kate needing some support but pretty confident on her own.

I predict that in a few days Jane will have some regression in behavior. It'll suddenly occur to her that life has changed and she'll worry about that but be unable to express it with words so she'll have to express it through negative behaviors. Interestingly, in the past few weeks Jane has suddenly grown in emotional maturity and she's been able to articulate why she behaves a certain way. Since starting the Sensory Path in the house I've used it to help her identify and regulate her body/emotions and I think that's been a good feedback loop for her to understand the connection between her emotions and what she does with her body. So, maybe she'll weather this transition better than I predict. That'd be nice.

I predict James will grow more comfortable each day until he feels he "owns" the classroom and he'll be telling everyone else how things work. He'll hate to leave preschool for the summer and be eager to go back next fall. School will be his favorite place. He'll love the structure (this is based on James' extreme similarity to his oldest brother, Seth).

Kate...hmm. I'm not so sure. I predict she'll do whatever is typical for a 3 yr old girl. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s