Skip to main content

The Farce of Body Autonomy

Some moms in my circle have posted snippets about Body Autonomy recently. A mother will post a picture of a child behaving rudely when asked to pose for a special event and then applaud her own child for making his own decisions with his body. Cue obligatory "you're such a great mom!" comments from others in her tribe.

These are all very young first time moms who are woke in all kinds of ways. I'm sure I was that mom, too, about a decade and a half ago. But nowadays I'm parenting more like my grandparents than this generation of TL;DR millenialls who think a really long FB post from an emphatically non-expert influencer is enough research for them.

(And, as a friend pointed out, the message of I-do-what-I-want is what is causing a society that contributes to global warming, a rape culture, insufficient tax base to create a social safety net for the most needy, etc. etc. etc. It's about the least Christian message I can imagine.)

The reality is that nobody has body autonomy. I have small children touching me every waking, and sometimes sleeping, moment of the day. An adult declaring that their comfort/preference outweighs the child's needs is pretty much the very definition of abusive neglect.

They climb on me the second I sit down (Kate perched on my calf today while I was half-crouched trying to plant an awkwardly shaped garden bed today, so great is her need for contact). They elbow and knee me while squirming around trying to get comfortable. They pile on top of each other if there isn't really room for two...or three. They bring their books and toys and presume I want to read or play without ever once asking.

And it's okay. It's not great--I don't love it. But it's what they need. I don't get body autonomy right now. My body's primary purpose is to provide physical comfort to them. I'm the mom. It's my role.

(I joked with Theo the other day that the two most exciting days this past month were when we got a babysitter so I could go to the DMV to renew my license and go for my annual gyn visit. I was practically giddy both days, trotting out to my car, sans kids! It's a sad, sad state when the DMV is your most anticipated outing of the week.)

And kids this age don't really have body autonomy, either. They need their butts and noses wiped and shoes and socks put on straight. They need someone to make healthy food and sleep choices for them. The list goes on....

But, all the same, I've been thinking a lot about how to teach appropriate touch to girls with a history of abuse and neglect. The single most horrifying moment for me came in the first week we had the girls when I realized each girl was turning her head and gazing off into the distance each time I touched their undressed bodies (for a bath, diaper change, clothing change, etc.). Both of them came with significant rashes all over their buttocks--determined to be eczema from lack of hygiene--and once when I was applying a diaper creme I looked at Kate's face and it was like watching her soul leave her body. I'd heard the word, "disassociate" before but witnessing it in person was horrific. It was all I could do not to break down and cry right then and there.

I will never know for sure what they experienced but I do know they each coped by separating their minds from their physical bodies. So now I have to help them put the two back together.

I am thrilled that they've begun saying "ouch!" if I accidentally pull their hair while putting it up. I am (trying to be) patient when they bring me the bazillionth boo-boo to kiss. I am demonstrating comfort with my body by letting them see it as situations occur naturally (no nudity, but they've seen me use the toilet when we're all out together and have to use the family restroom). Kate is fascinated and wants to talk about it all. "Mommy potty?" As if it never occurred to her that adults go potty, too.

At the same time that they're being given full access to me we are intentionally limiting access by the boys. From the beginning we would not let the older boys, and then even Theo, change diapers, give baths, assist in the bathroom, etc. It's just safer for everyone involved if we have rules like this. And, it models for them a built-in practice of modesty we want them to absorb, even when they're too young for preached messages.

Because just today Kate and Jane were changing when Kate suddenly reached over and touched Jane's nipple and said, "Best!" So we simultaneously had the talk about yes, girl do grow breasts when they're adults but, by the way, we don't touch people's bodies without permission! A few minutes later she pulled down my top to look at my breasts and said, "Mama best?" Obviously only the first part of the message sunk in.

But these moments are making me think. I have so much to teach them...carefully and patiently. While they climb all over me with an armload of books and toys and stuffed rabbits and favorite blankies and then elbow me in the gut five times while spinning around like a dog trying to lie down. Autonomy? Yeah, right. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s