Skip to main content

Dance Recital and Family Visit

Yesterday Jane had her dance recital; the culmination of six months of tap lessons. Aunt and Grandma were invited. We went out to eat afterwards.

Some observations from the day:

1. When I told the girls they'd be seeing aunt and grandma they were happy but not as ecstatic as they have been in the past. They were as happy as they'd be if I said we were going to the grocery store, which they love. They were not as happy as if I'd said we were going to their favorite indoor play place with a gazillion fun activities.

My interpretation: they know they'll see them regularly and are growing confident in the routines we've established. There is less and less grief surrounding their separation from these family members all the time.

2. Dance recitals are immoral. Or at least this place's was. At the dress rehearsal I saw 10 yr old girls shaking their butts at the audience while...weirdly...their mother's whooped and hollered in encouragement. I cannot even begin to understand. And when I questioned whether I had to put make-up (we were encouraged to do lipstick, blush, mascara and eyeliner) on a 3 yr old I was stared at as if I had two heads.

Maybe I'm too sensitive because I'm hyper aware that sexual exploitation and abuse is real and girls who've been sexualized from a young age will struggle with healthy relationships throughout their lives. Maybe I'm just that boring old lady who doesn't want to dress the toddler like a slut.

Jane went onstage with a dab of pink lipstick and some blush--because it is fun to dress up; that's what the fluffy dress and tap shoes were all about--and she looked just fine without eyeliner and mascara.

3. At the restaurant I chose where everyone would sit. I placed Kate next to me because she needs help eating and Jane between aunt and grandma since she's the one they want to see anyway. (Their preference for Jane is becoming more pronounced all the time. They've told me repeatedly that Kate has a different father and so they're only really related to Jane, since they're paternal relatives. I don't really care except that I worry about the day Kate finds out and their rejection of her is yet another loss in her life.)

Soon after we sat down grandma started tickling Jane and she began shrieking this really loud, extremely high and piercing scream that she does when she thinks she's supposed to laugh but is too dis-regulated to react normally. At the first one I gave her a surprised/warning look. At the second I said her name and shook my head no. At the third I got her attention firmly and clearly told her that she was disturbing everyone else in the restaurant--heads were turning--and that she could not make that sound one more time. I did all this right in front of aunt and grandma.

It was the first time I've really disciplined her in front of them but I'm feeling more confident all the time. I don't know if they felt uncomfortable but I sure didn't. I don't care who is there, my daughter is not going to be that brat that disturbs an entire restaurant.

If she would've done it again I would've stood up and taken her to the back and warned her that we'd be leaving immediately unless she settled down. She needs to learn how to behave appropriately in public and I've had enough interactions with aunt and grandma to know that they just don't know what is appropriate in the type of restaurant we were seated in.

4. After that everyone settled down and it was a nice visit. We chatted comfortably and laughed a lot. I helped the girls remember bits of our vacation to the beach last week so they could share memories with them. They told me stories about trips they'd taken with the girls to visit family, go camping, etc. I value this sharing of their past and present more than anything. It gives a whole picture of their lives. It's the main reason I want to maintain a connection with birth family.

Near the end I told them that we'd begun paperwork for adoption and that the process would be completed sometime around October. I then stressed that we expect to keep everything exactly the same. We'll still do visits. We'll still attempt to increase time so that eventually the girls can have a sleep over. I joked that when they turn 13 and hit the bratty stage they can just go live with them full time.

I did my best to reassure them that I was telling them this because I want to always be transparent and honest and don't want any event to catch them off guard and surprise them. I'm sure my words were only semi-reassuring, though. I know it was a difficult moment for them.

I'm struggling with understanding and grieving along with them and being patient---while also sprinting as hard as I can for this finish line because that moment represents stability and relief for me.

It is, always, a moment of contradiction. I think what is best for these girls is that they become part of our family and have limited interaction with them. At the same time I see the deep, searing pain they experience when they contemplate the state taking away their children and the looming potential that I'm lying and they could lose contact completely.

5. One more step in our long process. It feels like we're making progress in building experiences together. It also feels like this needs to be a long, careful process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Separation for Me

 One more note about yesterday. I noticed that when the girls were acting up yesterday I truly was not angry. I felt back in my old EI teacher groove where I could calmly observe and reflect to a student but never feel personally involved in the drama. It felt so nice! The equilibriam I was famous for when teaching but that I've struggled to find in my own home.  Being away was so good for me. Thinking other thoughts; being competent around other smart people. Life affirming to me as a human, not just the mother-drone trapped in a small house doing small things repeatedly all day long.  I absolutely have to have professional level conversation and interactions to maintain my sanity. Essential.

Practice

 This morning I was preparing Jane for her day. Upbeat and warm, but factual. Running through my expectations for her (be kind to others, tell the truth, don't sneak) and the consequences (removal from play with others). It's a familiar routine and she participated in it easily. But at the end her face hardened and she was angry. I asked her to name her feelings. First she attempted to deflect, said she felt sad. I asked again. This time she looked me dead in the eye and said, "talking about the bad things makes me want to do them".  Well, at least she's honest. (which, truly, is huge) I asked her tell me more. She said that me telling her she can't lie makes her want to lie just to see if she can get away with it. (The honest truth is that when she said that it made me angry, just want to lock her in her room forever. I have to fight my impulse and not show any reaction that would feed into, and distract from, the goal. But it's hard for me to walk away f

Birthday Grinch

And just like that next year I wanna be that smug, killjoy, lefty parent who sends out birthday invites that fake-polite demands attendees do not bring gifts but instead make a donation to a charity of the child's choice. When everyone knows said child doesn't care about the charity and would've loved some loot. Why? Two garbage bags of plastic film, cardboard, twisty-tie wrappings I had to cut and wrestle from around every gift.  TWO! bags of packaging and plastic crap toys that Jane never saw but went straight into the trash. For example, the exact same kind of doll shoes that Jane stuck up her nose months ago. We're not risking a repeat of that, thank you. (Kept the doll, just ditched the shoes.) Also, plastic necklaces with real metal clasps that her tiny hands can't do and I'm not gonna do up and undo every two seconds, thank you. (Not to mention the choking hazard to the 2 yr old when her big sister decides to dress her up with them and inevitably s